Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What lines are what?

1. Back To Top    #1

What lines are what?

We just bought a house with a 20x40 inground Pacific Steel pool. The problem is that the equipment has been plumbed into the basement and we need to get it rerouted outside of the house. (It flooded the basement prior to us buying it). The problem is that we don't know what intake pipes go to what source (skimmer, main drain, etc). I have found the pipes underground outside and we are going to get ready to cut and redirect to a platform. Could anyone help with explaining what the lines might be?
    We are also having a tough time deciding what type of filter to get that would be optimal for the size of our pool. The previous owner hadn't opened the pool in 4-5 years so I've turned the frog pond into a hazy aqua but can't see the main drain at the bottom. I think we only have 2 return jets that I can see. But we have 5 pipes leading into the wall. I have pictures of everything I just don't see where I could post them.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What lines are what?

Welcome to TFP

Use a shop vac in reverse and blow air through the pipes, where the air comes out is that pipe

how deep is the pool, if average of 5 feet it has about 30,000 gallons... a TR100 ro TR140 sand filter or the clean and clear 420 or 520 would be good choices, bigger is better with filters

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/tritonIIDS.pdf
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/cleanclearplusDS.pdf
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Here is some info on filters to review
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Pools typically have the following plumbing lines at equipment pads going to the pool.
    Suction side
    Line from skimmer(s)
    Line from bottom drain

Pressure side
    Line to pool returns
    Line to waterfall/bubbler/water feature if applicable
    Line to cleaner if applicable
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition to pooldv's listed items there may be a waste/backwash pipe from your filter that just leads to the yard somewhere as part of your filter maintenance.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

You can also buy a lable kit to mark everything at your local pool store
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

image.jpgThank you so much for your responses! I will try to use the shop vac technique- please don't laugh at my naivety- am I blowing the air after I make the cut on the outside pipe? I have stoppers in all of the ports that I know of. We don't want to be flooded with water when we go to make the changes. Or should I drain the pool down below the openings in the pool and hope for the best with the main drain line? As you can see inside there are two lines coming in on the left next to each other, then in the middle there is one line with black pvc. On the right the two lines (shown in the dirt picture as well) have one attached line and the lower smaller one is cut off.