Texas Question

DGS

Jun 23, 2015
memphis tn
Hi,

Just want to repeat- I LOVE THIS SITE! The knowledge shared here is amazing and so incredibly helpful.

My question isn't meant to be snarky or insulting but I check this site almost every day and have noticed that any posting that references Texas gets hundreds or thousands of views and a lot of replies. Others, well, not so much.

I love Texas and Texans (especially San Antonio!!!)and don't mean to offend but am just curious.

So is my perception wrong?

-Memphis Girl

Hi,

Just want to repeat- I LOVE THIS SITE! The knowledge shared here is amazing and so incredibly helpful.

My question isn't meant to be snarky or insulting but I check this site almost every day and have noticed that any posting that references Texas gets hundreds or thousands of views and a lot of replies. Others, well, not so much.

I love Texas and Texans (especially San Antonio!!!)and don't mean to offend but am just curious.

So is my perception wrong?

-Memphis Girl

from what i gather at least 50% of the pools on this site are in texas.

my own interest is in builds in the houston area, who did what and how well it went with contractors, materials, equipment etc. all in a market, climate and soil conditions identical to mine.

Pools often have regional issues that impact the build which could account for some of the response disparity. I also agree that like ibreslin many like to reply to local folks, often for similar reasons.

Ok-Thanks for replying!!! I think that makes sense so here is next question-

Memphis is pretty similar to parts of Texas so with a limited budget and not a fan of pebbletec or any pebbles and given a quality application and balanced chemistry-
plaster or hydrazzo or quartz? Sub said hydrazzo can be reploished 2x after initial install so a life span of 20-30 years-TRUE?

I'm thinking that you are referring to some of the Texas pool build threads in under construction. Over the years there are times when the right group of people are all building pools at about the same time and their pool build threads turn into a place for them to socialize and chat it up and talk about lots of other stuff and pools too. This happened here with several Houston, TX area pool builds where there are some threads with higher post counts than I have ever seen before. Some folks are having lots of fun in their pool build threads.

Quartz is next longest lasting after pebble. It goes like this.
Pebble 25+ years
Quartz 15-20+ years
plaster 7-15+ years

the + sign is because the biggest impact to the life of plaster/quartz/pebble is how well the water chemistry is managed. It can add or subtract a decade from the life of any pool finish.

I have not seen many Hydrazzo threads here. And I don't know why. I don't know a thing about it either. Hopefully someone will jump in here and educate us all on Hydrazzo.

BTW, this now officially a TX thread because you titled it texas question. :)

Lol I cheer when I see a Florida person!

The most important part of any pool is the skill of the installer. After that the care of the plaster will determine how long it lasts. We can teach ypu how to care for your pool once we help you build it....I love to help people spend their money hehe

Kim :cat:

LOL!!!!

The Texas thread! I love the MOD Squad too!

Just want to remind ya'll Davy Crocket was a Tennessee boy so have a heart and help those of us from the volunteer state out. :lovetfp:

- - - Updated - - -

]Lol I cheer when I see a Florida person!

The most important part of any pool is the skill of the installer. After that the care of the plaster will determine how long it lasts. We can teach ypu how to care for your pool once we help you build it....I love to help people spend their money hehe

Kim :cat:[/QUOTE]

I LOVE ST. GEORGE ISLAND, Appalachicola, and Palm Beach!!!!

Welcome to the Texas side of things!!!! Come on down!!! We'd love to have you here!

I can't help with your plaster question, but your question about traffic on Texas threads made me curious. Been thinkin' 'bout that. Yes, we do have a lot of Texas builds. And I too open Texas threads more quickly and more often, especially those from the Houston area. Part of it for me is Texas loyalty, but more than that, I feel like I have more to offer someone who lives in my area with similar climate, soil, and PB attitudes/pricing/materials. My pool knowledge is limited, so I have to hunt for things I can help out with. Another possible explanation for high traffic could be our 'wise' state doesn't regulate the pool building industry. And many pool owners, like me, aren't even required to have inspections during the build. I know that made me feel a little more vulnerable and wanting lots of expert support and guidance. Possibly I might have been aggravated with inspections, but at least I would have felt like someone was watching out for me. Finally, many including me enjoy the interaction on the forum. Some people enjoy that, some aren't interested, and it's easy here to be either way. I think those of us who do like the interaction gravitate to each other. So give me someone with a sense of humor and wit and I'm all in - no matter where they're from. Some of my favorite folks are from far away - even Australia and England. I'm a small town girl who's lived in the city for 40 years. Where else can I have a close knit set of people who know each other and come from all over the world??!!!

So Memphis Girl, give us pictures of your pool and join the fun!!!

Take care,
Suz :sunny:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Suz!

I will try to upload a pic but please keep in mind we will be redoing it Spring 2017.
It was built in 1992 and is plaster and has stains and has tiles fallen off and has coping issues but I have learned so much on this site that I know once it is redone it will be perfect and kept balanced.
We have interviewed 4 renovators and have 4-5 more to go but have frankly think we found our guy based on his cred's locally, his knowledge, and his down to earth personality (friendly, open, honest).

Thanks to to everyone (including the Texas mafia) that contribute so much to this site and willingly share their knowledge, experience and opinions!

Thanks Suz!

I will try to upload a pic but please keep in mind we will be redoing it Spring 2017.
It was built in 1992 and is plaster and has stains and has tiles fallen off and has coping issues but I have learned so much on this site that I know once it is redone it will be perfect and kept balanced.
We have interviewed 4 renovators and have 4-5 more to go but have frankly think we found our guy based on his cred's locally, his knowledge, and his down to earth personality (friendly, open, honest).

Thanks to to everyone (including the Texas mafia) that contribute so much to this site and willingly share their knowledge, experience and opinions!

Texas Mafia!! Ah hahahahaha! [emoji23]. We're a mafia ya'll!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay y'all I have my place all pick out! I have dibs on one of the loungers with the cushion then moving over to the swing when I get too hot! I like my sweet tea with LOTS of ice in it please LOL

That is such a pretty area! Are you sure you cannot start working on the plaster tomorrow?? LOL

Kim:cat:

Welcome to TFP! Really GREAT pool!! Big deck and big pool- love it!!

There ARE a lot of Texas folks here, but I think there are a lot of Az, Nevada and Florida peeps here, as well. All the REALLY hot locations that have long (or endless) Summers naturally have a lot of pools :)
I've only seen a couple of Ok folks here but I have learned (and continue!) so much from everyone that chimes in on the forum.
I do love the "Texas Mafia" tag! Lol! Wonder who claims title of Godfather (Godmother)???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.