SWG with Galvanized Pool Walls

Jun 23, 2016
Knoxville TN
I'm doing a DIY pool and bought a kit online but I have a pool builder that's helping me out along the way. My question is when I was deciding on pool walls the manufacturer wanted me to use polymer but the pool builder said galvanized steel all the way because its stronger and it's what he preferred. I didn't The manufacturer came back and said since I was using salt water they recommended the polymer so I asked my pool builder and he said he's done pools for 20 years and never seen an issue so I went with the galvanized steel and I'm halfway through the install. This is concerning me because every pool manufacturer website I look at says no salt with metal walls is this true?

Welcome to TFP :)

All pools are salt water pools, it is a very low amount of salt, between 1000 to 1500 ppm normally, SWG pools are at about 3500 PPM.. the ocean is at 32,000 ppm

It may take a year or 2 off the life of the steel wall, so instead of 50 years you get 48 :)

It can be a problem if there is a leak, say on the skimmer, that you let leak for 5 years but its going to be the same amount of damage with or without a SWG...

I hope this helps :)

stick around and check the site out, what a perfect time to find a better and cheaper way to take care of your pool :)

I'm kind of freaking out about this so I apologize but everything I'm reading is it will cut the life of the pool from 20-25 years down to 10-15 years because of corrosion. I'm wondering if anyone on the board has had this installed for more than 10 years without any issues. Also why are pool manufacturers pushing this so hard if the polymer are only about a $1000 adder?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.