San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
When I took over my new pool in April, my CYA was around 70. Since then we have had a ton of rain (and subsequent draining), performed a SLAM and now water is the most beautiful thing ever! I measured my CYA yesterday and it is now 35. I do not get a ton of sun (it's hot here, but my water is cool compared to other pools in the area, like 84), as I have many trees providing shade. My daily FC loss is around 3, depending on how much the kids (and their friends) swim by day.

So, two questions...am I OK at 35? Should I get it up to 40-50? Question 2, if I do need to increase, since I have a bucket of pucks I bought when I knew nothing, is it OK to use those for a bit until my CYA is at recommended levels?

My real plan was to have a low enough CYA level come late July, as I am heading out of town for 2 weeks, and I wanted to float pucks while I am gone.

If you are going out of town for 2 weeks, that's perfect. Just ride with 40 (round up!) until then and float some pucks. 2 weeks is a long time, I would have somebody add a prescribed amount of bleach and refill the floater after week 1.

+1 to ckk81 - Round up to 40 and use that as your basis for the FC/CYA chart.

Yes, certainly use the leftover stabilized chlorine as you see fit. The main thing is to use Pool Math so you know exactly what you're putting in your pool, why you're doing it, and what effect it will have. There's a little section at the bottom "Effects of adding chemicals" which will tell you all the key effects by entering amount and chem. This section works based on your pool volume which is entered at the top.

It sounds to me like you understand well, so that should work just fine for you. Happy Swimming!!

...2 weeks is a long time, I would have somebody add a prescribed amount of bleach and refill the floater after week 1.

That's the plan. Hoping to have my neighbor, who uses the pool, add about 1/2 jug bleach a day. But also do pucks in case he misses a day here and there.

Thanks everyone for quick responses. I love this place, get awesome advice/reassurance in minutes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.