Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Level Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Level Question

When I took over my new pool in April, my CYA was around 70. Since then we have had a ton of rain (and subsequent draining), performed a SLAM and now water is the most beautiful thing ever! I measured my CYA yesterday and it is now 35. I do not get a ton of sun (it's hot here, but my water is cool compared to other pools in the area, like 84), as I have many trees providing shade. My daily FC loss is around 3, depending on how much the kids (and their friends) swim by day.

So, two questions...am I OK at 35? Should I get it up to 40-50? Question 2, if I do need to increase, since I have a bucket of pucks I bought when I knew nothing, is it OK to use those for a bit until my CYA is at recommended levels?

My real plan was to have a low enough CYA level come late July, as I am heading out of town for 2 weeks, and I wanted to float pucks while I am gone.
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Level Question

35 is fine for non-SWG.
    See the chart here- Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you are going out of town for 2 weeks, that's perfect. Just ride with 40 (round up!) until then and float some pucks. 2 weeks is a long time, I would have somebody add a prescribed amount of bleach and refill the floater after week 1.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to ckk81 - Round up to 40 and use that as your basis for the FC/CYA chart.

Yes, certainly use the leftover stabilized chlorine as you see fit. The main thing is to use Pool Math so you know exactly what you're putting in your pool, why you're doing it, and what effect it will have. There's a little section at the bottom "Effects of adding chemicals" which will tell you all the key effects by entering amount and chem. This section works based on your pool volume which is entered at the top.

It sounds to me like you understand well, so that should work just fine for you. Happy Swimming!!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    ...2 weeks is a long time, I would have somebody add a prescribed amount of bleach and refill the floater after week 1.
    That's the plan. Hoping to have my neighbor, who uses the pool, add about 1/2 jug bleach a day. But also do pucks in case he misses a day here and there.

Thanks everyone for quick responses. I love this place, get awesome advice/reassurance in minutes!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100