Pump Run Time

floridarandy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2015
Southwest Florida
Pool is working perfectly with chlorine TFP. Added Borates and love the feel and chemistry stability now that everything is "just right".

My final area of curiosity now is pump circulation run time. Our pool is enclosed in our screened patio and use Hayward Ultra pool vac so debris is really not a factor from a skimmer point of view. So what are the parameters that dictate minimum pump circulation run time. I understand pump electric demand is a significant consumer of electrical dollars so I want to do right by the pool but save money if I can. Right now the pump runs from 8 am to 6 pm.

Thanks in advance.

Floridarandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out this article in Pool School: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Your pool likely only needs 4 hours of circulation per day. Do you have a timer on the pump? Is it single speed, two speed or variable speed? Would help to list your pump specs in your signature.

I personally run my single speed, 1 HP pump 6 hours per day. 3 hours midday and 3 hours late in the evening. A salt water chlorine generator would also significantly impact your pump run time needs.

If it's on/off every 3 hours, isn't that the same as on/off every 4 hours? Either way, it's 50% of the time. 12 hours per day is likely overkill. Only run as much as it takes to keep the pool skimmed of surface debris, at least 4 hours per day.

How many cycles and how long are they?

I ran mine 3 hours a day and after a suggesting from Mark (mas985) i'm down to just 2 hours a day.

pool is mostly covered with the bubble cover so skimming isn't going on unless the cover is off.

seems to be just as clear so far.

on weekends I take the cover off and run it longer and while swimming to keep the surface clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.