Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Run Time

Pool is working perfectly with chlorine TFP. Added Borates and love the feel and chemistry stability now that everything is "just right".

My final area of curiosity now is pump circulation run time. Our pool is enclosed in our screened patio and use Hayward Ultra pool vac so debris is really not a factor from a skimmer point of view. So what are the parameters that dictate minimum pump circulation run time. I understand pump electric demand is a significant consumer of electrical dollars so I want to do right by the pool but save money if I can. Right now the pump runs from 8 am to 6 pm.

Thanks in advance.

Floridarandy

15000 gal in-ground rectangular concrete/pebble-tech pool. Hot Springs Prodigy 325 gal spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Run Time

Check out this article in Pool School: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Your pool likely only needs 4 hours of circulation per day. Do you have a timer on the pump? Is it single speed, two speed or variable speed? Would help to list your pump specs in your signature.

I personally run my single speed, 1 HP pump 6 hours per day. 3 hours midday and 3 hours late in the evening. A salt water chlorine generator would also significantly impact your pump run time needs.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link. I'll post pump details when I get home but its definitely a single speed and I believe 1 hp. I do have a timer so that would be easy to set.
    15000 gal in-ground rectangular concrete/pebble-tech pool. Hot Springs Prodigy 325 gal spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I too wonder about this? I currently have my timer to turn on/off every three hours so I go through 8 cycles a day. Last year I had it on/off every four hours. I also keep my pump set on high. Any advice someone could add to this? Is this too much?
    24', Above-ground vinyl, 14,000 gallon, 1HP 2-speed Jacuzzi Magnetek pump, Jacuzzi Brothers CFR75 cartridge filter, Tork EW103B timer, Hayward 100ID gas heater, Junior Pool rover T robot

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's on/off every 3 hours, isn't that the same as on/off every 4 hours? Either way, it's 50% of the time. 12 hours per day is likely overkill. Only run as much as it takes to keep the pool skimmed of surface debris, at least 4 hours per day.

How many cycles and how long are they?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are the pump details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

I ran mine 3 hours a day and after a suggesting from Mark (mas985) i'm down to just 2 hours a day.

pool is mostly covered with the bubble cover so skimming isn't going on unless the cover is off.

seems to be just as clear so far.

on weekends I take the cover off and run it longer and while swimming to keep the surface clear.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.