Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from first time pool owner in Louisiana

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from first time pool owner in Louisiana

Hello from hot and muggy Louisiana! My family and I just moved into a home less than a month ago with an in-ground pool and have never owned or maintained a pool before so we will be learning everything starting from step 1. I'm still trying to get all the details for the pool before I post questions but we are already starting to notice problems so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. So glad to have been referred to this site by a friend. Looks like it will be a terrific resource.
    David McCoy
    11K gal, IG fiberglass, Hayward self-priming pump, Pentair FNS Plus filter DE filter, Polaris cleaning robot, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hello from first time pool owner in Louisiana

Welcome!

Here is a good place to start Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It would be a good idea to immediately order a test kit. The sooner you get it the sooner you can take control of your pool. We recommend the TF-100 (link in signature) or the Taylor 2006. The TF-100 is the better deal.

Let us know if you have any questions!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!

David McCoy
    11K gal, IG fiberglass, Hayward self-priming pump, Pentair FNS Plus filter DE filter, Polaris cleaning robot, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello David and welcome to TFP! While you take the time to read the TFP Pool School and bookmark the vital links below in my sig, I would highly encourage you to procure the proper test kit. TFP recommends either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). Those are the only test kits proven to test at the levels recommended and/or required to ensure accuracy. I hope you'll make that step #1. If you have any water issues, that will be our first question - test kit results. From there, it's very easy and we can help guide you.

Great to have you with us on what should be yet another sweltering day. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the TF-100 test kit today. Is there a good way to guesstimate how many gallons the pool holds? I have no idea and it wasn't on the real-estate listing.
    David McCoy

6. Back To Top    #6

One way is to use the Poolmath calculator (link below). There's a pool sizing tool on there that can help you get close.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pics of some the equipment is attached.

20160623_201435.jpg

20160623_201454.jpg

20160624_181646.jpg
    Last edited by dmccoyTFP; 06-24-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Changed equipment pics
    David McCoy

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.