Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power cord replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Power cord replacement

My current pump died waterway 1.5hp 2 speed it had a l5-20 plug on it with a 12.8 amp draw a high speed. The new pump im looking at to replace it is a 1hp with a l5-30 plug on i,t the pump is rated at 9.8 amps could i switch cord from the old pump to the new pump since it wont come close to the amp limit? The current outlet is wired for 20 amp only so changing the receptical isnt really an option.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Power cord replacement

you probably can, hang on a bit as there are some guys here that are better at this stuff than me.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes you can replace the cord. Whether or not that voids the warranty is an issue. It voids the UL certification.

Whats the manual say are the requirements a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I just dont understand why the would use an l5-30 it just seems like overkill. I emailed waterway to see if they sell any pumps with the l5-20 plug havent got a response from them as of yet.

5. Back To Top    #5

So this is the pump im looking at there are 2 versions standard plug and twist lock plug.
    1 hp 3450 RPM, 115V Above Ground Pool Pump with Twist-Lock PLug- Waterway # PH1100-3
    1 hp 3450 RPM, 115V Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway # PH1100-6

Would it be better to get the pump with the standard plug since it would only go up to 20 amps anyway and then just change the plug on it?