Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark Spots (Possibly Rust) On Pebble Tec/ Diamond Bright

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Dark Spots (Possibly Rust) On Pebble Tec/ Diamond Bright

Hey guys I have had an issue with these dark spots in the pool since I've bought this house and they seem to be multiplying. I have tried vitamin C tablets on them and it has had no effect. I purchased the following device to use with muriatic acid but that also has had no effect.
    https://www.amazon.com/Purity-Pool-O...rust+spot+acid

I used a stainless steel brush and brushed like crazy, it did not do a thing on them. My pool was built in 92' I notice when I use the larger 18" stainless steel brush I find sand/ pebbles in the robotic cleaner. Does anyone else have this problem with pebble tec/ diamond bright?

I tried a thick sharp edge paint scraper on one of the spots and it lighted up drastically by just scraping at the top layer. Should I try a concrete file and see if I can file the spots out? Is this advisable?

Below are pictures of the spots and the tool I am thinking about using.

Also below are my pool levels (I just got done slamming)
    FC 10
    CC 0
    CH 250
    TA 140
    CYA 35
    PH 7.8

I plan on lower TA once FC is lower.

8k In-ground concrete / Diamond Bright
    Hayward Cartridge filter Model C9002
    Hayward pump/ Century motor Model UST1102
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dark Spots (Possibly Rust) On Pebble Tec/ Diamond Bright

Let's make sure it is not black algae. To test, gently scrape a sample of the suspected black algae (preferably with your fingernail - but however you can get a sample) and then smudge it on plain white paper. If the smudge scrapes off and is a greenish color, then it’s black algae.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

That ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It will not be easy but well worth your effort. We can fix it if it is black algae!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try scrubbing them with a trichlor puck and see if that lightens the stain.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Those spots are puzzling. I agree with BoDarville that black algae is a possibility.

If you eliminate that, then you may have to scrape them but make that a last resort as you essentially scrape off the surface of your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If it isn't black algae try some wet/dry sandpaper.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Guys, I have had black algae and was able to scrap off those black spots with ease with a stainless steel brush. Below is a picture of black algae I had on my steps. These other spots are something completely different.

TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Well you know what to do then........start sanding with the wet/dry sandpaper.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Has anyone shot off any fireworks over your pool lately?
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

10. Back To Top    #10

Before I purchased the home renters were living here. A few years back during hurricane season the renters threw the patio future into the pool to avoid the furniture being blown through the sliding glass doors. The furniture must have been in the pool long enough to cause rust stains. We also had the roof replaced when we moved in and a lot of debris got into the pool. The pool screens need to be repaired and I noticed when we treated the yard with granular some of it was blown onto the pool deck. A number of things could have caused these stains, I am almost positive they are rust stains. Some of the black spots have brown in them which makes me think rust. The problem is how porous this pebble tec/diamond bright finish is which makes it difficult for vitamin c or muriatic acid to be viable option without draining the entire pool. I was under the impression this type of finish was rust resistant. The only thing that seems to work at removing the spots is to scrap at the top surface. I think I will try some wet/dry sand paper before using the aggressive file I have.
    TF-100 Test Kit