Can't keep BR/CL levels higher than 1. Bromine out door hot tub. Suggestions?

ttown

Jun 24, 2014
Houston, TX
Hi guys, I've tried and tried on my own, but I think it's time to ask for advice. I can't seem to keep my bromine levels up. I use bromine tablets 1" (Bromochloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin|65% bromine, 29% chlorine) in a in-line feeder by Pentair. I have the settings for bromine set on max (5) and usually fill the entire feeder with tablets (I make sure the air is removed and water is slightly overflowing before I re-cap. I used an entire 4lb canister of bromide when I fresh filled.

During the day, my chlorine levels read 0. During the night, my chlorine/BR levels read only 1. The only way I can increase it is to add calcium hypochlorite I have, but it doesn't last long.

I was wondering if anyone knows what could be happening. I understand bromine can't be kept during the day, but it refuses to rise on tablets even late in the night. Am I using the wrong type of tablets? Should I switch to another bromine tablet, or maybe even trichlor I have?

My chemistry: 7.8 PH, 0 BR, 40 Alk, 200 CH, 0 CYA. 8000 Gallons, jets and pump on 24/7.

A week ago, I shocked my pool with calcium 3 times a day and had 8-10 BR level, but my PH tested extremely high (~9.0/10.0), while my alkalinity was really low (~20). I stopped shocking with calcium and tried to rely on tablets, ph is back to normal, alk is lowered, but no BR/CL.

hey there, so you have hit the same exact problem I did and many other that try to use bromine, it can work but it is really difficult to maintain.. After I got white mold I changed and have not had 1 issue since.. I changed to chlorine and then went to a saltwater generator.. Now I check once or twice a week after I get everything balanced :)

I am sure you have already been trying these instructions for bromine but if not here it is..
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

and if you want to change to chlorine this worked for me :)
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

I hope this helps :)

hey there, so you have hit the same exact problem I did and many other that try to use bromine, it can work but it is really difficult to maintain.. After I got white mold I changed and have not had 1 issue since.. I changed to chlorine and then went to a saltwater generator.. Now I check once or twice a week after I get everything balanced :)

I am sure you have already been trying these instructions for bromine but if not here it is..
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

and if you want to change to chlorine this worked for me :)
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

I hope this helps :)

Thanks, yeah I actually used both these guides and a few others. I know them by heart now trying to get things to work.

If I use my 3" Trichlor tablets instead of Bromine in my feeder, or maybe put them in my skimmers since my pumps are on 24/7, do you think that would help increase BR/CL levels? I believe I still have my bromide reserve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.