Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Hydrazzo life be extended to 20-30 years?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Hydrazzo life be extended to 20-30 years?

I love this site. I can find so much great info here. A huge thank you for all the knowledge and wisdom!

We have interviewed 4 contractors for a remodel of plaster, tile and coping. We have 5 more to interview.

The one that has the most experience and is the sub for the most respected pool company in Memphis (started in 1952) said that if we do Hydrazzo after about 10 years we could have it repolished then and then in another 10 years we could probably have it repolished again. Anyone have any experience regarding that? That is a 20 to 30 year life span. BTW-the sub has done pools for 30+ years, does 7+ million in sales, does water parks, has Pebbletec certification, etc....

The pool is basic plaster now and has lasted since 1992 in fairly good condition. So I understand that quality workmanship and chemical balancing are the drivers for longevity of any pool finish.

I am willing to believe him but how much hydrazzo is left after 2 repolishes and how does that impact the spot where the tile meets the finish?

Any help/hydrazzo experience is most appreciated!

Thank you.
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Hydrazzo life be extended to 20-30 years?

I don't know much about hydrazzo but a good pebble finish like Pebbletec will last 25+ years with no refinishing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Pebbletec isn't in the budget...
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not to keep dodging your original question but quartz finishes are also very popular, cheaper than pebble, and last 20+ years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Good info re quartz! Thanks. Will get a quote and see about that.

I would still like to know about the 20-30 year lifespan on the hydrazzo

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ask the person who said it to show you a 30 yr old hydrazzo pool. I'm not sure when they first produced it but I don't remember using it until the mid 90s. May have been sooner on the east coast.