At my wit's end...

Jun 22, 2016
Springfield, MO
18'x4' Coleman AG pool, approximately 7,000 gallons.
Cartridge filter.
Assembled 6/7/16.
Hth 6 Way Test Kit.
Filled with well water.

(Won't let me edit signature on mobile)

We have spent the last few weeks working on balancing our pool. It seemed like everything I read said something different about what to start with but the general consensus seemed to say get TA/ph fixed before moving on to the rest. The ph was fine, but TA was 420. Over the course of a couple weeks, we added MA until the level was about 100, which took four gallons total. At that point, the ph was 6.8. We added ph increaser until we emptied the whole bottle (5lb). We tested according to label directions and it was still 6.8. We bought 10 more pounds of ph increaser and my husband was frustrated with already spending so much time and money on the pool that he added all of it to the water. A couple hours later the water was white and cloudy, not see-through at all. This was June 19th. The next day, he read on another site that low chlorine could be the cause so he added two gallons of liquid chlorine (10% sodium hypochlorite). As of today, the chlorine was in the 2- 4 range, ph was 7.5, and TA was back up to 330.The water still looks like milk basically. Have we totally screwed everything up? What do we do at this point?

You need to stop dumping chemicals into the pool and click on Pool School and read the ABC'so of Pool Water Chemistry. You will also find a link to the 2 most used test kits. The best one being the TF100. With your TA being high, it is not the end all be all if your pH was stable. Please do yourself a favor and read the articles that have been written for all of us to enjoy a trouble free pool. Well be here for any questions you may have.

Welcome to TFP! Hope you enjoy the site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.