Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on child's eye burning after swimming

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on child's eye burning after swimming

I hope I can post this here. My question is why does my child's eyes burn after swimming (no goggles worn)? I have goggle for her but she forget to wear them. My numbers are all in check.

Saltwater
    Salt level 3100
    FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    PH 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 425
    CYA 40
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on child's eye burning after swimming

What is your CC level?

3. Back To Top    #3

Do they rub their eyes every time the head comes out of the water? There was a post explaining that the rubbing causes more irritation than the chemistry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Your FC number is more meaningful along with your CYA number. CC should also be included. Effects are usually attributed to pH out of range, high CC and lack of salt in the pool.

This article was a life-changer for me. I love to swim underwater and got itchy burning eyes from swimming anywhere, including a variety of pools, lakes and the ocean. It was not easy to teach myself not to rub; I had to keep my glasses by the pool and put them on to stop me. But once I learned it, now even shampoo has stopped my eyes from being red, other than for the instant I get some in my eyes. Anyway, food for thought. Certainly if it persists, you should seek advice from a physician.

Swimming Teaching: Bloodshot Eyes After Swimming or Sore Eyes From Swimming?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    What is your CC level?
    CC 0
    salt 3100
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The most important number is missing. CYA buffer the chlorine and the chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The most important number is missing. CYA buffer the chlorine and the chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart.

Sorry CYA 40
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, that is high enough to make FC of 5 just fine. But, it is too low for an SWG pool. It would be good to raise it to 70 or 80.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

[QUOTE=pooldv;1069154]Ok, that is high enough to make FC of 5 just fine. But, it is too low for an SWG pool. It would be good to raise it to 70 or 80.[/QUOTE

I am trying to get there as I just converted to saltwater. I will add some more liquid stabilizer.

Thanks for all of the help.
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit