Replacing flexible PVC line - trouble getting fittings on pipe

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
I have dug up my skimmer to find that my pool was plumbed with flexible PVC. It has rigid 1/1/2" PVC coming out of the skimmer.

So I cut the flexible PVC off at its coupling. Now I'm trying to put a fitting on the end and I can not get it to fit. The fitting is 1.5" and the pipe is 1.5" but they will not go together. I have worked with PVC a lot but mostly smaller diameter...

Are there any tricks to getting the two pieces to fit together? I've already ruined a couple and I don't want the pipe to get too short.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

You need to chamfer the outside edge of the pvc tube going into the fitting. Also make sure you are using sch40 fittings for proper fitment. Lastly use a separate primer and cement in the 2 step method of gluing don't use the single step glue and pray style.

If all else fails you can use the hose barb method but those can be a real bear to get seated all the way.

You work with flexible pvc just like ridge pvc. Measure the pvc from the stop inside the fitting to the stop inside the next fitting. This allows for the pvc to seat completely into the fitting. If you dry fit the pieces they will not seat completely to the stops and it will look like the pvc is too long. Prime the pieces then glue them together. The glue will act as a lubricant and allow the pvc to seat completely in the fitting.

Hose barb fittings will not work with flex pvc.

PVC barb fittings will work in flexible PVC I've seen it done many many times. In a buried connection a slip joint (glued connection) is better. Not that flex pipe should be buried IMO but that's a whole different argument.

I have taken out all of the flexible PVC, all the way do the hard PVC that is at the skimmer. So I am not dealing with flexible PVC any more.

I used the purple primer and then the cement they sell at Lowe's. It usually makes things slid together, but not in this case. What is the better primer and cement to use?
What can I use to clean the pipes with? I'm thinking maybe I don't have them clean enough.

Thanks for all the replies.

the primer and cement at lowes / home depot is fine as long as you are using the separate primer and cement. when cleaning PVC you should wipe the primer on untill all you see is clean pvc so all the dirt and surface discoloration is gone. I keep cleaning until the printed label on the pipe goes away. Make sure you clean the pipe the full depth of the fitting you are going into. Make sure to prime the inside of the fitting as well. Also apply the cement to both the pipe and the fitting. Also because the flex pipe was buried / installed some time ago it may have become distorted and lost its shape which could be why it wont go into the fitting properly. You said you replaced it with hard pipe so that wont be an issue anymore.

whether flex or rigid..all sizes are the same..if you have 1.5 inch diameter Flex and a 1.5 inch rigid..you'll need a 1.5 inch SLIP fitting to join the two together. It's very simple, and you can prime and glue each one to the other. Barbed fittings work OK inside a flex pvc tube, but tend to drip/leak, as you simply cannot tighten a pinch clamp tight enough to seal it. Flex PVC is MEANT to be glued, just like rigid.

Tonight I cut the end off of the offending pipe and I was able to get the new connection on. So all is good and the pool is up and running. Oh now I have a huge mess to clean up including re-mortaring the wall section I took out and the stairs.

Thanks all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
whether flex or rigid..all sizes are the same..if you have 1.5 inch diameter Flex and a 1.5 inch rigid..you'll need a 1.5 inch SLIP fitting to join the two together. It's very simple, and you can prime and glue each one to the other. Barbed fittings work OK inside a flex pvc tube, but tend to drip/leak, as you simply cannot tighten a pinch clamp tight enough to seal it. Flex PVC is MEANT to be glued, just like rigid.

Realize this is an old thread but wanted to comment on use of barb fittings with Tigerflex hose. The joints in the attached photo haven't leaked a drop in almost 30 years outliving two pumps, two filters and three solar water heaters. The installers emphasized the use of double opposing hose clamps and used the method on all of their spa jobs. To get apart just requires warming with heat gun.

Attachments

• 20180918_183241.jpg
    20180918_183241.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 74
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.