Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing flexible PVC line - trouble getting fittings on pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing flexible PVC line - trouble getting fittings on pipe

I have dug up my skimmer to find that my pool was plumbed with flexible PVC. It has rigid 1/1/2" PVC coming out of the skimmer.

So I cut the flexible PVC off at its coupling. Now I'm trying to put a fitting on the end and I can not get it to fit. The fitting is 1.5" and the pipe is 1.5" but they will not go together. I have worked with PVC a lot but mostly smaller diameter...

Are there any tricks to getting the two pieces to fit together? I've already ruined a couple and I don't want the pipe to get too short.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing flexible PVC line - trouble getting fittings on pipe

You'll need to adapt the pvc to a barbed fitting that pushes inside the flexible pipe.
    20x40 in ground with vinyl liner (21,000 Gallons), triton tr60 sand filter, sta-rite 1hp pump, 1 1/2" plumbing

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You need to chamfer the outside edge of the pvc tube going into the fitting. Also make sure you are using sch40 fittings for proper fitment. Lastly use a separate primer and cement in the 2 step method of gluing don't use the single step glue and pray style.

If all else fails you can use the hose barb method but those can be a real bear to get seated all the way.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

You work with flexible pvc just like ridge pvc. Measure the pvc from the stop inside the fitting to the stop inside the next fitting. This allows for the pvc to seat completely into the fitting. If you dry fit the pieces they will not seat completely to the stops and it will look like the pvc is too long. Prime the pieces then glue them together. The glue will act as a lubricant and allow the pvc to seat completely in the fitting.

Hose barb fittings will not work with flex pvc.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

PVC barb fittings will work in flexible PVC I've seen it done many many times. In a buried connection a slip joint (glued connection) is better. Not that flex pipe should be buried IMO but that's a whole different argument.
    Chuck-

6. Back To Top    #6

I have taken out all of the flexible PVC, all the way do the hard PVC that is at the skimmer. So I am not dealing with flexible PVC any more.

I used the purple primer and then the cement they sell at Lowe's. It usually makes things slid together, but not in this case. What is the better primer and cement to use?
    What can I use to clean the pipes with? I'm thinking maybe I don't have them clean enough.

Thanks for all the replies.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

the primer and cement at lowes / home depot is fine as long as you are using the separate primer and cement. when cleaning PVC you should wipe the primer on untill all you see is clean pvc so all the dirt and surface discoloration is gone. I keep cleaning until the printed label on the pipe goes away. Make sure you clean the pipe the full depth of the fitting you are going into. Make sure to prime the inside of the fitting as well. Also apply the cement to both the pipe and the fitting. Also because the flex pipe was buried / installed some time ago it may have become distorted and lost its shape which could be why it wont go into the fitting properly. You said you replaced it with hard pipe so that wont be an issue anymore.
    Chuck-

8. Back To Top    #8

whether flex or rigid..all sizes are the same..if you have 1.5 inch diameter Flex and a 1.5 inch rigid..you'll need a 1.5 inch SLIP fitting to join the two together. It's very simple, and you can prime and glue each one to the other. Barbed fittings work OK inside a flex pvc tube, but tend to drip/leak, as you simply cannot tighten a pinch clamp tight enough to seal it. Flex PVC is MEANT to be glued, just like rigid.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like I'm doing everything right and maybe the end I'm trying to work with is a little distorted. I'll just cut it down and keep trying.

Thanks for the tips

10. Back To Top    #10

Tonight I cut the end off of the offending pipe and I was able to get the new connection on. So all is good and the pool is up and running. Oh now I have a huge mess to clean up including re-mortaring the wall section I took out and the stairs.

Thanks all