So, we just got our above ground pool put up yesterday, and trucked in drinking water to fill it. The installer is coming back tomorrow to hook up all the equipment (pump, skimmer, etc).
Its a 27 ft round AGP, 54 inches high. It holds around 18,000 gallons of water.
Also, I have the TF-100 test kit ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet. In the meantime, I bought a cheap $5 test kit from WalMart to test initial PH and chlorine levels.
I've read at least some of the Pool School articles (enough to be mildly dangerous), and I'd like to make sure I have the starting process correct:
1. Since I'm starting from 0 CYA, the PoolMath calculator tells me I need to add 6 lbs of CYA to bring the level up to 40.
2. Once that is done, I measure the PH, and do whatever PoolMath says to bring it up to 7.5.
3. Once that is accomplished, I can test for chlorine levels and do whatever PoolMath says to bring it up to the recommended level.
4. And at some point, the TF-100 will come in and I can post test results to here to find out what else I need to do.
In the meantime, I have a couple questions:
1. In my case, without any pump/filter/skimmer in operation, is there any way for me to add the CYA now and get a jump-start on that? I've read enough to know it won't dissolve (quickly) without some water movement. Or do I just need to wait until the equipment is running?
2. How much time does there need to be between adding the CYA (which can take up to a week to dissolve) and rebalancing the PH and adding chlorine? Do I need to wait until each step is complete before moving on to the next? Or can these be somewhat overlapped?
Anyway, thanks for the awesome resource that is this site!! I just found it a couple nights ago and have already learned a ton. And still have a lot more to go...