What is a normal amount of liquid Chlorine to be added daily?

Apr 3, 2016
Colleyville/tx
Hi, I'm new to liquid chlorine and this site. I'm very glad I've found it as its been very helpful. I've bought the chemistry set known as the TF 100. I've moved into a house where a pool wasn't well cared for and have drained it because of extremely high conditioner and then slammed it a couple times. It's now in great shape. I've passed all the requirements after slamming. Here are my current numbers.

FC - 1
CC - 0
ph 7.8
TA - 110
calcium 250
CA -50

I'm testing my water all the time(morning and evening) and I'm finding that my FC drops about 1-1.5 ppm over night and about 3-4ppm during the day. I'm having to add about .5-1 gallon per day of liquid chlorine (10%) to keep it around the 5ppm level. Is this normal? It seems like a lot of chlorine to go through and I'm surprised at how quickly the FC drops. I've always been .5 or 0 on CC after slamming a couple weeks ago and CYA has been stable around 50 since then. My kids are swimming 5-6 days a week and it is hot here in Texas so I'm just wondering what is normal and how much chlorine to expect to add daily?

Welcome!!!! You need to target your FC higher! Aim for 6 with your CYA and even go a little higher before a lot of swimmers. Do you know how to use PoolMath to adjust your chemistry?

Since your FC dropped so low, keep a careful eye on the pool. You may need another SLAM as dropping below your minimum (4) invites stuff to grow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.