Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Sand filter issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Sand filter issues

I currently have 2 issues with the pump (sand filter SF20110). I've also getting ready to leave for vacation.

1. I'm getting sand back into the pool. Right now I have a sock over the discharge to catch all the sand. I've had never changed the sand since I've had the pump, maybe 5-6 years. It's probably overdue to be changed out? I have no idea how often it is recommended to change the sand. Thoughts? I probably just need to open the dang thing up and look at everything.

2. Tonight when I got gone with backwashing the pump, I noticed that water kept running from the waste port on the pump after I shut the pump off. I believe everything was fine before I backwashed. I'm able to put the cap back on so it doesn't leak all over the place, but this one has be a bit more baffled. It leaks no matter what position the valve is in, even closed. Could the 2 issues be related? Sand caught in a gasket or something? Something wrong with the 6 way valve?

Obviously I'm not going to be able to fix the issues before we leave and have a temp fix, but any help would be welcome.

Thanks!
    --
    Keith

Intex 15' x 48" AGP (5300 gallons)
    Intex 2,100-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Central Mo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Sand filter issues

No need to change sand, we do recommend this process, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Sounds like your spider gasket is leaking in your valve.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I saw the link on the deep clean last night. I'll have to do that when I get back.

If it's the gasket, it looks like I will need the entire 6 way valve according to Intex website.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you make sure to put the valve back to "filter"? If you leave it at "backwash" or "waste", the water will flow out the waste port even with pump off through the pressure of the full pool.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it's in the filter position.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Always turn the handle in the same direction.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!