Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rocks in pool salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Rocks in pool salt

I recall seeing a thread about this last year I believe. I just wanted to add a warning. I had small rocks in two bags of diamond crystal splash ready pool salt that I bought at lowes. I have bought pool salt from them for years and I believe it has always been diamond crystal but I'm not certain. Regardless I have never had this problem before. These were large enough that I believe they could have damaged my liner if left. I threw the largest ones away before I thought to take a picture. The largest were about 5 times the size of the biggest ones in the photo I took.

18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

Re: Rocks in pool salt

I bought some salt at Walmart. There were a few black pieces, but no rocks. I had poured it in a pitcher to spread it around so I could look closely as I was adding it. The thought crossed my mind, AT&T he time, that there could be unwanted particles in it.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Southern NH

I've got some in pool salt too but don't recall ever getting them from water softener salt.
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

4. Back To Top    #4

Seacoast, NH

I've noticed them in Morton and Diamond Crystal water softener salt in the past. This year, the Morton Salt has been clean.

It bugs the heck out of me. I've been tempted to save them all until I have 40 lbs worth and then bring them back to the store and ask for a free bag. Clearly not worth the effort, but it does make me feel better to think about it.

I found that the pellets are clean.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Troy IL

Honestly, I'd be more upset if I found them in my water softener salt. It's tougher to clean that thing out than it is my pool. Still, good to be wary.

20,000 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed