Pump Motor Overheating and Shutting Off

I am new to this forum but had to do something because my local pool place is baffled. I'm working on the third replacement motor by the way.

I have a Century HSQ125 motor(1.25 HP/SF 1.0). The pump is a Pentair SuperFlo High Performance 350097.

The motor will run for only 90 seconds or so and shutoff and comes back on after it cools off.

Wiring was checked and everything checked out good.
I came across this site while googling and saw someone that had the same problem, but can't find it now and don't know if their problem was resolved.

Please Help!

Welcome to the forum!

So is this the third motor in a row? The brand new motors are shutting down? Or is this an older motor?

Have you double checked the wiring for 230v vs 115v? (unlikely given it runs 90 sec)

It could be something wrong with the wet end. I looked up the 350097 and it does appear to be the correct motor size but if the load is higher than the motor rating, the motor will shut down. One thing to try is to open the pump lid and let the water drain out. Then run the pump (without the lid on) and see if it shuts down in 90 sec. If so, there is an obstruction somewhere in the wet end. If it doesn't shut down, then you may need a larger motor. But before you do, check the impeller part # and post here.

I will share this with the pool maintenance guy. They did check the impeller prior to the second replacement and said it checked out good. I hope they can get this figured out because it can't be doing its job very well not running consistently.

The two jets near the stairs were making an odd knocking noise after this motor replacement...

OK, wiring checked out. Electrician confirmed correct voltage and amps... Pool store is giving up on me! I called a different pool store and she took all my information. When I gave her the 350097, she said she needed the actual part number which is Pentair part number 340040. She said that is a 2 HP pump and that the motor is 1 HP and that is my problem. Can someone confirm this also?

That could be the problem but when I looked up the 350097, it showed that same motor you had. Does the impeller have a part# stamped on it. That is the only way to tell for sure unless you have the old motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.