Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking forward to dropping my pool service... and my first test results are in...

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking forward to dropping my pool service... and my first test results are in...

I moved into a home with a pool in early March. I have had a pool service coming weekly for maintenance. I decided to try to my hand at the TFP method and got my TF-100 Test Kit and ran my first full battery of tests today. Here are the results:

FC - 11
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 160
    CH - 450
    CYA - 100+

My pool is somewhere around 22-29k gallons. It's an odd shape and hard to measure. I put my numbers into pool math and I see I should be replacing somewhere near 80% of my water volume. That isn't doable given the drought and high price of water in California right now. I see I need to add some Borax or soda ash to raise my pH and then aerate to lower my TA.

What is best way to aerate?

I guess my biggest question should be, what should I tackle first?

Thank you! I look forward to the help and eventually paying it forward and helping others once I'm an "expert".
    IG ~22,000 gallon plaster freeform pool (27 years old). Hayward single speed pump, pentair booster, DE filter, Kreepy Krawly Legend.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking forward to dropping my pool service... and my first test results are in..

It is going to be tough to manage a pool with CYA that high. Have you considered these guys: Home - Pool Services Technologies - Never Drain Your Pool Again !
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Looking forward to dropping my pool service... and my first test results are in..

I have no experience with that company, but that's a very interesting service.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd love to find out what their service costs.

IG ~22,000 gallon plaster freeform pool (27 years old). Hayward single speed pump, pentair booster, DE filter, Kreepy Krawly Legend.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by changeyez View Post
    I moved into a home with a pool in early March. I have had a pool service coming weekly for maintenance. I decided to try to my hand at the TFP method and got my TF-100 Test Kit and ran my first full battery of tests today. Here are the results:

FC - 11
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 160
    CH - 450
    CYA - 100+

My pool is somewhere around 22-29k gallons. It's an odd shape and hard to measure. I put my numbers into pool math and I see I should be replacing somewhere near 80% of my water volume. That isn't doable given the drought and high price of water in California right now. I see I need to add some Borax or soda ash to raise my pH and then aerate to lower my TA.

What is best way to aerate?

I guess my biggest question should be, what should I tackle first?

Thank you! I look forward to the help and eventually paying it forward and helping others once I'm an "expert".
    Lowering your CYA should be your first order of business. But you do not need to raise your PH by adding borates then aerating. Aerating raises PH alone with no affect on TA. Your TA is high, so no need to add anything to raise PH if you can just aerate. How to aerate? .....it could be as simple as kids splashing around a lot or turning a jet return toward the surface. Or, you could get really creative and create a sprinkler with PVC that could screw into a threaded return if you don't already have any other water features. Those two are the easy/fun DIY things but I think you can purchase little floating mini sprinkler pumps too......not so much fun to build
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

There are some prices quoted here: Reverse Osmosis
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Local service provider quoted me the following: the price is $700 up to 20000 gallons after that it is $30 per 1000 gallons.
    A bit pricey.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup, almost always cheaper to just replace the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you know how the pool service was chlorinating your pool? Were they using DiChlor or pucks? Many hard forms of chlorine will also lower your pH, which is why you will be fighting that. That would also be what has your CYA so high. If you are moving away from how they chlorinate, and using bleach, you will not have low pH issues going forward.
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Smartjack View Post
    Do you know how the pool service was chlorinating your pool? Were they using DiChlor or pucks? Many hard forms of chlorine will also lower your pH, which is why you will be fighting that. That would also be what has your CYA so high. If you are moving away from how they chlorinate, and using bleach, you will not have low pH issues going forward.
    They are using pucks. The previous owner of the home (we bought it three months ago) did his own chlorinating via pucks as well.

How should I know whether or not to be worried about my IG plaster pool floating when drained? We have moist, heavy Adobe clay soil here.

Also, I don't see any hydrostatic pressure plugs in the bottom of the pool and I don't know if I can drain to waste with my setup.

11. Back To Top    #11

How should I know whether or not to be worried about my IG plaster pool floating when drained? We have moist, heavy Adobe clay soil here.
    If you are worried about a high water table, you can always replace water with the tarp method:

1) Obtain a HUGE tarp (something like this 40'x60' tarp or another that's appropriate for your pool size).
    2) Stretch the tarp over the pool so that the all 4 edges are above the waterline. You could attach floats/pool noodles to make sure the edges do not drop into the water.
    3) Fill the tarp with fresh water while running the pump to dump to waste and/or allowing the pool to overflow. Be careful that the tarp edges remain above the waterline.
    4) When you have enough water removed from the pool, you will have an equal amount of fresh water in the tarp. Now drop the tarp edges into the water to allow the old and new water to mix.
    5) Slide the tarp out of the water.

If you have too much water in the tarp, it will have too much pressure to remove it. In this case, pump the water out of the tarp and into the pool until you can remove it.

This method will isolate the new water from the old water without removing any weight from your pool. You could technically replace all the water from your pool without ever dropping the water level.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP does not really recommend the tarp method. You could do nearly as well filling in the deep end and removing from the water surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I fill on the surface and remove from the deep end and I have gotten 95% refill without much mixing.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Guess the method depends on what is cooler, the house water or the pool water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

The water's density is affected by both temperature and TDS. Since I have a salt pool with high CH, both increase density. 3500 ppm of TDS has about the same change in density as 20 degrees F of temperature. So in many cases, you may find that TDS is a bigger factor. But I usually refill in the winter so I get the benefit of both since the pool water is usually colder than the fill water.
    Mark