Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What the heck happened to my pump!?

1. Back To Top    #1

What the heck happened to my pump!?

My pump goes off every morning at 9:00. I went outside today at 12:30 to find that my water wasn't moving and my sweep was at a stand still. I went and checked my gear and the filter had pressure but the window in the pump was fogged up. I shutdown via the timer then steam blew out of the pump basket housing. I let it sit for a few minutes then put some cool water in the basket and it started back up and flow resumed. Did my pump not prime or something?
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What the heck happened to my pump!?

whoa! I would turn it off permanently until you can determine what is causing the motor to over heat.

Take out the pump basket (with the circuit breaker /timer off) and see if anything is lodged in the impeller to start.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

While I will agree with you that turning it off until I can diagnose it is the smart and responsible thing to do, it has been up and running for a couple hours with no issue so I think I am good. Honestly it wouldn't break my heart much if this one went out because it is an older pump and I am sure I can save enough off my electricity bill on a new one to pay for itself in a year or two. Mostly just curious as to what happened. I did disconnect my sweep for a bit to swim and let the hose sit in the sun, so it was reconnected recently. Thinking maybe there was too much air in the line and it didn't prime?
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

4. Back To Top    #4

Sound to me like the pump was running dry. That would account for the "steam". Sometimes this causes no damage at all and sometimes it expands the pump housing causes leaks at the threaded input and exit pipes.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.