Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How small is too small?

1. Back To Top    #1

How small is too small?

Currently considering a 14x28 vinyl in-ground after taking down our 28ft AGP. Anyone regret they didn't go bigger? I always felt the 28ft AGP was a little too big to care for and for our use. I have the dimensions mapped out a bit and it feels ok.. but reality is sometimes different.

South Phila PA area.

Sundance Spa; Chelsea (468 gallons). Former 28ft AGP owner for 20 years.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: How small is too small?

Size really doesn't matter. Go with what you are happy with.

If you felt the old one was too big for your pool usage the. You are correct to downsize. Just with a smaller pool be a little more exacting with chemical additions.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Peoria, AZ

I'm getting ready to build a 13.5x28 and it seems like a great in between size.
    Pool: 14x28 Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua blue tile, White plaster, Light Gray Cool deck
    Equipment: Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C High Rate Commercial Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Vacuum
    Fun Stuff: 4' Baja Step (2nd step depth), 2 aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

4. Back To Top    #4

Haven't regretted not going bigger. I've got a pool right outside my back door, for God's sake! We've in our fourth summer with one and we still can't get over it.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Needham, MA

We just put in a 13.5x28 kidney and its perfect for our space. We have had up to 8 people in it at once and its still fine. Majority of the time its just my family. Some advantages I can tell you are: heats up much faster, little to no change in levels and does not take a lot of chemicals to balance, and it vacuum and cleans fast.
    2016 Spring build. 13.5x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Pasadena, CA

We finished building our pool last summer and I wish we had gone a tad longer. Ours is 14 x 25 and I think if we had just added a few feet to the length it would be so much better. The 14' width is fine in my opinion, but it looks a bit stubby at 25'. Plus we have our treasured big Baja step that takes up a lot of the interior. So I think your dimensions will work out nicely at 28'.

Also, we only went to 5' deep which has its advantages. But I think 6' would have been nicer. I'd feel safer diving in if it were deeper (I just kind of hang over the edge in a dive position and delicately drop in since it's so shallow). The deeper you go the longer you want the pool so the slope can be gradual instead of severe.
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system

7. Back To Top    #7

Carlsbad, NM

My pool is 18 x 36. I wouldn't want it any smaller. If you get a few people in it gets crowded.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.