Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to forum

1. Back To Top    #1

New to forum

Hello everyone .. New to the forums and a new pool owner. As you can see in my sig, just built last September, ran for two weeks and closed. Opened up in late May. Had a little bit of algae but nothing crazy. The installer did a complimentary opening where they dumped in 5 gallons of liquid chlorine and started up the filter system.

I am an avid do it yourselfer so I went right to work doing some research. I've been lurking on this sight for a while and after some research, I quickly ordered a Taylor K-2006 kit from Amazon. It's a nice little kit. I also added a Salinity test kit since I own a SWG.

After baseline testing I basically needed everything. Once I established a chlorine level, I went after Cya first and then alkalinity followed by ph and then calcium hardness. I added 15lbs stabilizer, 25 lbs baking soda, 2 lbs Borax, and 50 lbs calcium chloride. My levels today are as follows:

FC - 7
    CC - 0 (I've never had a reading yet)
    CYA- 80
    TA - 110
    PH - 7.5
    CH - 250

Pool looks very good. I've been slowly working the FC down to target around a 6. I've also been watching the ph rise slowly so I can hit it with a little muriatic to bring the alkalinity down a little.

I know I will have some questions as there is no way I can be this lucky on the first try .. Haha

Looking forward to learning more as I go.
    22,000 gal Cardinal Oasis 36x18 IG Vinyl
    Pentair IC40 SWG Sand Filter 1 1/2Hp Superflo pump Single Speed 3450 RPM
    Build date 9/25/15
    Taylor K-2006 with Salinity
    City water for fill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to forum

Welcome to TFP!

So as not to confuse folks, please list alkalinity in your test resllts as TA as that is what most folks are used to seeing.

While a TA of 110 is OK by pool industry standards, many of us feel that is a little high. We find pH to be more stable with the TA around 70 or even a little lower. My pool likes 60.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    as there is no way I can be this lucky on the first try .. Haha
    Who says it's luck? Your post indicates a very good understanding of the basics that we teach....all the credit goes to you. You are on your way to a Troublefreepool! Nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here it is at the end of last year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22,000 gal Cardinal Oasis 36x18 IG Vinyl
    Pentair IC40 SWG Sand Filter 1 1/2Hp Superflo pump Single Speed 3450 RPM
    Build date 9/25/15
    Taylor K-2006 with Salinity
    City water for fill