Returning to my property/pool after renting the property out for 2 years

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
I don't have TFTkits with me anymore - already ordered one yesterday! But would like to see what I can do now while the test kit is on the way.

Took sample of pool water to both Leslie's and Pinch-A-Penny (yeah, I know.. "pool stores lol"). Did both to ensure I can see what's close to reality (if there's some degree of consistency between the 2 results) and what's way off (mis-measured at one place possibly).

Leslie:
FAC, TAC both 0 (yeah, bad)
Salt level: 2300 (although my SWG is reporting 2700-2800 at the moment)
CH: 260
CYA: 10 (yeah, too low)
TA: 60
pH: 8.0 (high)
Phosphates: 200 ppm (high)

Pinch-A-Penny:
FAC, TAC also 0
salt level: did not measure (they thought I had chlorine pool, not SWG)
pH: also 8.0 (high)
TA: 80
CH: 400
CYA: 20 (also too low)

Been a while, I'm rusty w/pool chemicals, help me out - I know I need to fix CYA, pH, and have SWG generating chlorine again for pool - what do I start with? Shock (to add CYA)? Add salt? Fix pH levels? What are the first steps here in bringing my pool back to normalcy gradually? I know this is going to be a multi-step thing, I'm not sure which one is priority right now. Thanks in advance!

First thing is to lower PH to 7.2 and then begin a SLAM. For a CYA of 20, your shock level would be 10 but pool stores get the CYA wrong all of the time.

If I was you, I would just pour a jug of bleach in once a day until your test kit arrives and you can do it properly

Thank you both!

I'm trying to find what I think is/was a sticked post/thread on cheap equivalents that one can buy at Walmart or grocery stores (like using bleach instead of liquid chlorine, using baking soda instead of "soda ash" at pool stores, etc). (edit: found it here - Pool School - What is TFPC? )

Want to make sure I buy a couple of jugs with correct bleach type (if there are multiple kinds) - also, what are the customary jug sizes to look for when doing SLAM method? 1-gallon jugs? (edit: previous tenants left a partially used jug of clorox so I went ahead and poured that into the pool just now. Will either buy liquid chlorine at local pool store or jug of bleach at Walmart for the subsequent days).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.