Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool caulking- need advice!

1. Back To Top    #1

pool caulking- need advice!

So our pool company when finishing the pool last year just put this spongy Styrofoam like material between the cement and the coping and said we're 'good to go'. Now we are hearing that if we don't replace that with caulk then water gets in, freezes, and ruins the coping over time.
    Question 1- is that true? can we just leave that stuff in or should we caulk?
    Question 2- What product should we use. We get 100 different answers on what to use, what is best, etc. We want to do it ourselves as it is very expensive to have a contractor do it. Any experience with Vulkem products? Ultimate Pool Sealant? General advice?

Help me're my only hope.
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: pool caulking- need advice!

There is no "best". Use a polyurethane caulk...I have used different brands with good results.

And, yes, you do need to caulk.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Re: pool caulking- need advice!

Other than you want to use a polyurethane caulk there is not much We can tell you. There are different brands all over the country.

I would find an experienced guy to do this. Be there when he does it. Take good notes. You are going to have to do it again in 3 to 5 years so think of the extra cost as an educational expense.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall