Best way to add bleach: walk vs pour at return?

gmor

Apr 16, 2016
Redlands, CA
I've been measuring out my bleach in a 1 gal jug, then add water to the top, then walk it around the pool. Is this the best way? What about adding near a return like I've read to do with muriatic acid? Any difference? Seems like it would be easier to add to a return and minimizes splashing.

You are correct! We advocate adding slowly near a return jet(s) because it helps to ensure the chemicals are dispersed evenly with the flow of water. By pouring slowly, you also reduce the risk of splashout on your clothes and surrounding area.

Another +1 for pouring in front of a return. Walking around pouring just seems to be begging for a trip, spill, or splash compared to stabilizing yourself in one spot, opening the jug, and pouring slowly with the jug right over the water. Especially at night with a headlamp, you can see the chlorine/acid fall into the return stream and immediately shoot out and disperse.

I do measure if using less than a jug because I'm a bit OCD. Chlorine with a plastic 32oz measuring cup (unless I'm putting in 1/2 gal at a time, then the 2nd use I just pour from the jug). Muriatic Acid I pour straight from the jug, but I mark 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines on the outside with a sharpie (transferring from a stick that I calibrated with water a while back).

Return is best but honestly it doesn't matter. You aren't mixing oil and water; the jug is already 85%+ water. By the time it hits your pool it starts to dilute even more regardless of where you pour it.

I do measure if using less than a jug because I'm a bit OCD. Chlorine with a plastic 32oz measuring cup (unless I'm putting in 1/2 gal at a time, then the 2nd use I just pour from the jug). Muriatic Acid I pour straight from the jug, but I mark 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines on the outside with a sharpie (transferring from a stick that I calibrated with water a while back).

Ha! Talk about OCD...I will mix a five gallon bucket of water per half jug of Clorox and THEN pour over the return. Probably needless and waste of time, but like a dad worrying about an infant's bottom, I don't want to even risk a possible rash on my nice smooth vinyl liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha! Talk about OCD...I will mix a five gallon bucket of water per half jug of Clorox and THEN pour over the return. Probably needless and waste of time, but like a dad worrying about an infant's bottom, I don't want to even risk a possible rash on my nice smooth vinyl liner.

Go out some night with a flashlight or headlamp. That was what made it obvious that:

1) Pouring in front of the return, from say 6" away from the wall, none of the concentrated liquid is getting anywhere near the wall; it gets projected very quickly away into the center of the pool as it hits the return stream. Whereas pouring near a wall not near a return is more likely to get a higher concentration at the wall surface as it spreads. Maybe not enough to matter, but still.

2) Measuring acid into a cup like I was doing was a very bad idea. I could see the cloud of fumes collecting and spreading as it was poured and sat in the measuring cup even before the smell made it to me. Pouring straight from the jug into the pool minimizes the amount of acid exposed to the air. And same issue with pouring anywhere other than near a return that propels it out into the center or with risking splashing/spilling if I walked around.

The bucket dilution may be a good idea, but my fear would be spilling/sloshing such a heavy bucket, and having an additional thing to drip somewhere or leave a ring when put down. I do have the advantage of having a 50+ year old plaster pool where an additional stain/mark won't make a difference if I get it wrong (but I think I've done well so far). And for me, every additional step makes it more likely I'll procrastinate until "later", with the resultant risk to the water balance. Just having to grab a jug, press the "Quick Clean" button on the pump to get 30 minutes of run time, kneel down and pour makes it more likely I'll actually do it as often as I should :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.