Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to add bleach: walk vs pour at return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to add bleach: walk vs pour at return?

I've been measuring out my bleach in a 1 gal jug, then add water to the top, then walk it around the pool. Is this the best way? What about adding near a return like I've read to do with muriatic acid? Any difference? Seems like it would be easier to add to a return and minimizes splashing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to add bleach: walk vs pour at return?

You are correct! We advocate adding slowly near a return jet(s) because it helps to ensure the chemicals are dispersed evenly with the flow of water. By pouring slowly, you also reduce the risk of splashout on your clothes and surrounding area.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I think I was subconsciously trying to imitate a pool guy I saw "walking" chemicals around!

4. Back To Top    #4

I know right! That's the pool guy/pool builder method of adding anything. Drives me nuts. And measuring? Forget about it. Just pour and leave.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

You will very quickly get very good at pouring just slowly enough so you get a steady constant stream that doesn't "glug" from the bottle or splash out of the pool.
    30k gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward 300 ft2 cartridge filter, 1 hp pump, Hayward 250k btu natural gas heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Another +1 for pouring in front of a return. Walking around pouring just seems to be begging for a trip, spill, or splash compared to stabilizing yourself in one spot, opening the jug, and pouring slowly with the jug right over the water. Especially at night with a headlamp, you can see the chlorine/acid fall into the return stream and immediately shoot out and disperse.

I do measure if using less than a jug because I'm a bit OCD. Chlorine with a plastic 32oz measuring cup (unless I'm putting in 1/2 gal at a time, then the 2nd use I just pour from the jug). Muriatic Acid I pour straight from the jug, but I mark 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines on the outside with a sharpie (transferring from a stick that I calibrated with water a while back).
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Most of those "walk around the pool" guys in the videos spend a LOT of money on new pants as the chlorine splashes on them
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I used to be "that guy" who walked and poured. Then I bleached my pants from the splashback. Now I pour in the one spot by the return. I do guesstimate, though.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Return is best but honestly it doesn't matter. You aren't mixing oil and water; the jug is already 85%+ water. By the time it hits your pool it starts to dilute even more regardless of where you pour it.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
    I do measure if using less than a jug because I'm a bit OCD. Chlorine with a plastic 32oz measuring cup (unless I'm putting in 1/2 gal at a time, then the 2nd use I just pour from the jug). Muriatic Acid I pour straight from the jug, but I mark 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines on the outside with a sharpie (transferring from a stick that I calibrated with water a while back).
    Ha! Talk about OCD...I will mix a five gallon bucket of water per half jug of Clorox and THEN pour over the return. Probably needless and waste of time, but like a dad worrying about an infant's bottom, I don't want to even risk a possible rash on my nice smooth vinyl liner.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by johnsjets View Post
    Ha! Talk about OCD...I will mix a five gallon bucket of water per half jug of Clorox and THEN pour over the return. Probably needless and waste of time, but like a dad worrying about an infant's bottom, I don't want to even risk a possible rash on my nice smooth vinyl liner.
    Go out some night with a flashlight or headlamp. That was what made it obvious that:

1) Pouring in front of the return, from say 6" away from the wall, none of the concentrated liquid is getting anywhere near the wall; it gets projected very quickly away into the center of the pool as it hits the return stream. Whereas pouring near a wall not near a return is more likely to get a higher concentration at the wall surface as it spreads. Maybe not enough to matter, but still.

2) Measuring acid into a cup like I was doing was a very bad idea. I could see the cloud of fumes collecting and spreading as it was poured and sat in the measuring cup even before the smell made it to me. Pouring straight from the jug into the pool minimizes the amount of acid exposed to the air. And same issue with pouring anywhere other than near a return that propels it out into the center or with risking splashing/spilling if I walked around.

The bucket dilution may be a good idea, but my fear would be spilling/sloshing such a heavy bucket, and having an additional thing to drip somewhere or leave a ring when put down. I do have the advantage of having a 50+ year old plaster pool where an additional stain/mark won't make a difference if I get it wrong (but I think I've done well so far). And for me, every additional step makes it more likely I'll procrastinate until "later", with the resultant risk to the water balance. Just having to grab a jug, press the "Quick Clean" button on the pump to get 30 minutes of run time, kneel down and pour makes it more likely I'll actually do it as often as I should
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)