Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aiming of the old pool returns

1. Back To Top    #1
    Reading, MA

Aiming of the old pool returns

Hello, I am trying to figure out the best way to aim my pool returns to keep the pool as clean as possible. My main drain is plugged. The pool is 16x30 at its widest and longest points. The deep end is about 9 feet deep. Currently I do get debris stashes in the deep end at the bottom of pool underneath the skimmer. I have jet 1 pointed towards the bench on the right hand side of pool just below the surface. I have jet 2 pointed towards the left but maybe should point it towards bottom of pool, the deepest part.

Please see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool ave depth 5.5, maybe 19000 Gallons
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Aiming of the old pool returns

The jets help not only with chemical mixing, but water surface movement back towards your skimmer. We like to get stuff pushed to the skimmer before it sinks if possible. You can try tossing a few ping-pong balls on the water to see how well they move around. As long as the prevailing winds aren't overwhelming your test, you can get a good idea of how stuff is floating towards the skimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cantonment, FL (Pensacola Area)

Re: Aiming of the old pool returns

Ping pong balls, or a grandkid's collection of rubber duckies, lol

Mine is shaped similar but two skimmers. While you try different things to see what works best I think I would start with jet 1 as far to the right as you can get it towards the steps (not that you can get it quite that far) and create a clockwise surface movement. Jet 2 pointing almost across but aimed just to the left of the narrow point in the pool to also create a clockwise movement and carry things to the skimmer.
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.