What about vacation??

Assuming that the FC addition is not automated, some combination of these:
- Raise FC up to shock level
- Float some trichlor tablets
- Put a cover on
- Have a friend/relative add chlorine

I've seen a few threads on vacations, and statements about raise FC to Shock Level. Why not higher? Damage to pool or filter? No one will be swimming in it...

I've seen a few threads on vacations, and statements about raise FC to Shock Level. Why not higher? Damage to pool or filter? No one will be swimming in it...

Possibility of damaging liner, pool parts is one. Diminishing returns is another. FC is lost to UV as a percentage per day, not a fixed ppm amount so the higher your FC level, the more you lose per day. A combination that works best for the owner of the methods listed by jblizzle is best.

Paul, it's because once FC gets too high, it not only can be a problem for some pools with a liner, but the extra FC is a very easy target to the sun since there's not enough corresponding CYA to bond to. It drops fast enough at regular SLAM levels, but higher than that and it's just not as productive as you might hope when it oxidizes that fast.

And what Joel said. :)

...Diminishing returns is another. FC is lost to UV as a percentage per day, not a fixed ppm amount so the higher your FC level, the more you lose per day...

THIS is an answer to a question I asked a while back! thanks!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I will be heading out of town in late July for almost 2 weeks. My CYA right now is around 50. Might be lower by then. If I float pucks for that time, how much CYA rise am I at?

If I float pucks for that time, how much CYA rise am I at?
Depending upon the type tablets you use, one tab will add anywhere form about 6-9 ppm of CYA. You can use the Poolmath Calculator and look at the section towards the bottom "Effects of Adding Chemicals" to see more details.

I use pucks when I am on vacation. Usually less than a week at a time. Always have a fear of some motor or plumbing issue but so far so good /knocks on wood/.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm installing my SWG in the next week or so, so this post was really just to see different thoughts and ideas. I'll be honest, the top tier TFP members here that are active in forums, helpful, generous with advice, etc.... those folks seem to enjoy maintaining their pools... I do not. I'd like the "Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ" version of a pool: "Set-it & Forget-it". I'd happily pay more, to do less.

That said I was curious, and thought others may be as well, about what those folks actually do when they go on vacation or travel for business etc. So, let me re-phrase a bit:

What do you do, when your on vacation? (a fun survey)

"Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ" version of a pool: "Set-it & Forget-it".
Bwaaahaaa! We had one! :)
I have a friend or family member add X-amount each evening. I also have them check my skimmer which is important to me since that is my only source of water to the pump.

Not to take it off tangent, and I admire all those of you who are able to take care of your pools yourselves, but this is why I feel like I really need to just hire a pool service. I know that's not ideal, but we go out of town fairly regularly for 10 days to two weeks at a time, so that just gives me great consternation to think of no one watching it/doing anything for it all that time. I'm lucky enough to live in a place where pool service is fairly reasonable, and knowing all that I do from this great site and all you wise sages, I'll certainly be able to keep an eye on the maintenance folks, make sure they're doing a good job of things.

Before a vacation, I do ... nothing. I have a SWG that adds FC daily.

Well, that is not totally true. Before I leave I make sure my pH starts in the lower 7s as it will generally rise. Make sure the skimmer is clean. Some others bump the output of the SWG slightly to ensure it does not let the FC get low.

Once you understand the chemistry and your pool, a SWG makes the pool very easy to maintain.

{From what I have learned, we Mods are pretty neglectful at pool maintenance ... with understanding comes the ability to reduce frequency of testing etc. And we have no fear of something going wrong because we know how to easily fix it} :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.