Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy, old pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy, old pool

Hello all, found this site looking for info on restarting the pool after 3 years. Hoping to learn to diy the maintenance and make some new friends

Pool is from the 70's, been working on it for 2 weeks. Much better than when I started

James
    16'x32' inground, ~20k gal, Pentair Superflo 2.0 hp pump, Hayward S310T sand filter, Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy, old pool

Hello and welcome to TFP! You're in the right place for help. Looks like you're in the tail-end of clearing that algae. Hopefully the TFP "SLAM" page (link below) is helping you out. If you have any questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us on this blistering hot day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just took it over yesterday (found this place today). Had a guy working on it, but he stopped showing up...Other than not telling me, not too mad. He did a lot of work on it.
    Just read the SLAM page, looks like I gotta figure out how to use this test kit.
    16'x32' inground, ~20k gal, Pentair Superflo 2.0 hp pump, Hayward S310T sand filter, Taylor K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Which test kit do you have (Taylor K-2006 or TF-100)?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

K2006. found the extended test kit instructions

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect! A couple foot-stompers from the SLAM page:
    - Before increasing FC over 10, test/adjust pH to about 7.2
    - Verify current CYA (outside, sun at back)
    - Adjust FC to match the corresponding CYA as seen on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)

If you have any questions, just let us know.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Perfect! A couple foot-stompers from the SLAM page:
    - Before increasing FC over 10, test/adjust pH to about 7.2
    - Verify current CYA (outside, sun at back)
    - Adjust FC to match the corresponding CYA as seen on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)

If you have any questions, just let us know.
    Went to get bleach and poolguy was here He added 4 lbs backing soda and some liquid chlorine.

went out and tested a few minutes ago

FC-11
    CC-2
    Ph-7.5
    TA-110
    CH-320
    CYA- calling it 28, spot went away when tube was full

looks like I need to add just over a quart of bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Target FC was 12, tested 14. Hoping a little high is better than low.

10. Back To Top    #10

10:00 pm-FC-11 added ~80 oz bleach
    7:30 am, FC-12 added 40 oz to keep ahead of it

11. Back To Top    #11

Affirmation?

Long story short, pool unused for 3 years, hired guy to clean and open, did a buncha work then got flakey so I took over

SLAM underway

from introduction thread

6pm-062216
    Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post

Went to get bleach and poolguy was here He added 4 lbs backing soda and some liquid chlorine.

went out and tested a few minutes ago

FC-11
    CC-2
    Ph-7.5
    TA-110
    CH-320
    CYA- calling it 28, spot went away when tube was full

looks like I need to add just over a quart of bleach
    8pm 062216
    Target FC was 12, tested 14. Hoping a little high is better than low.
    10 pm 062216
    10:00 pm-FC-11 added ~80 oz bleach

7:30 am, FC-12 added 40 oz to keep ahead of it
    this morning

been reading a lot and think I'm on the right track, but some affirmation would be helpful for my psyche

Thanks for your time,
    James

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Re: Affirmation?

You've got it. Take a picture everyday at the same time. POP - Pool owner patience. That delicious soup might take 7-10 days to clear up. Brush at least once if not twice a day.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Affirmation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    You've got it. Take a picture everyday at the same time. POP - Pool owner patience. That delicious soup might take 7-10 days to clear up. Brush at least once if not twice a day.
    Thank you, war has been declared...

14. Back To Top    #14

10:30 FC 13.5, added nothing. Will retest in a couple of hours. Pool gets full Texas sun, so expecting a drop at next test

15. Back To Top    #15

Now that you're maintaining that FC level, don't forget to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you haven't forgotten any other tasks. Also watch your filter psi and backwash when it increases by 25%. Like Mr Bruce said ... have some patience. The bleach will do it's job when it's "maintained" at that SLAM level.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Now that you're maintaining that FC level, don't forget to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you haven't forgotten any other tasks. Also watch your filter psi and backwash when it increases by 25%. Like Mr Bruce said ... have some patience. The bleach will do it's job when it's "maintained" at that SLAM level.

I'm on it This pool has been a thorn in my side for years. Hoping to change that now that grandkid has learned to swim. I can be patient, as long as I know it's making progress.
    Thanks for all the help,
    James

17. Back To Top    #17

Brushing before 12:30 test revealed I could see the bottom on deep end
    12:30-FC 10, added 1 gallon
    2:30 FC 14, did nothing
    4:30 FC11, added 1/2 gallon (CC 2.5)

18. Back To Top    #18

Perfect. The bleach will do it's thing while you continue to monitor filter psi and sweep/brush each day. At some point, the changes may seem slow and it can be tough to wait it out, but hang in there. You don't want to stop SLAMming until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. At some point, the water should reach a point of clarity you probably never knew possible.

19. Back To Top    #19

yesterday

6:30 pm FC 13.5
    8:30 FC 12
    10:30, got lazy and didn't test, added 80 oz

today
    6:45 FC 12, added 40 oz
    8:45 FC 14

yesterday/today

Also backwashed and added 2 cups of DE

20. Back To Top    #20

Your FC is holding surprisingly well. It does appear that step is getting more visible. Stick with it. It just takes time. You should be ready for the 4th holiday weekend. The only other thing I might recommend is checking your CYA again today, just to ensure the FC matches the current CYA. Remember to test CYA outside under the sun, but with the sun at your back so your torso shades the tube when looking at the dot. Have a good day. It's going to be another hot one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast