staining deck

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
I have a new section of deck, pressure treated, that needs (and I started) sanding of each screw hole (wood was too wet from what I understand). So of course those areas now appear lighter than the board itself.

I have accepted the fact that the old and new decks won't match (using the same stain) but will these freshly sanded areas look the same as the surrounding board? If not, what can I do?

I won't even ask what is the best deck stain....opinions are like........... :)

It probably depends on the type of stain but my guess is that if it is a semi transparent stain then there will be a slight difference in the coloring between the sanded areas and the rest of the wood. The biggest factor is how long had the wood weathered before you sanded it? Sanding opens the wood grain so it is going to absorb more stain than wood that has weathered some.

When making furniture it is typical to use a sanding sealer or pre-stain wood conditioner to eliminate a blotchy or uneven finish. I don't know if there is such a thing for decks. Maybe find one of the more experienced folks at Lowes and see what they have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.