Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: staining deck

1. Back To Top    #1

staining deck

I have a new section of deck, pressure treated, that needs (and I started) sanding of each screw hole (wood was too wet from what I understand). So of course those areas now appear lighter than the board itself.

I have accepted the fact that the old and new decks won't match (using the same stain) but will these freshly sanded areas look the same as the surrounding board? If not, what can I do?

I won't even ask what is the best deck stain....opinions are like...........
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: staining deck

Anyone?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

3. Back To Top    #3

It probably depends on the type of stain but my guess is that if it is a semi transparent stain then there will be a slight difference in the coloring between the sanded areas and the rest of the wood. The biggest factor is how long had the wood weathered before you sanded it? Sanding opens the wood grain so it is going to absorb more stain than wood that has weathered some.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4

When making furniture it is typical to use a sanding sealer or pre-stain wood conditioner to eliminate a blotchy or uneven finish. I don't know if there is such a thing for decks. Maybe find one of the more experienced folks at Lowes and see what they have.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

If the PT wood is new and still wet, I doubt you will even notice once it drys out in a few months.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

6. Back To Top    #6

Thx. Will sand ASAP so it can weather together too.