Vacation for a week without running pump: what to do?

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD
I'm going on vacation for a week and won't be running the pump because the pump is hard wired to a fuse box so I can't put a timer on.

Advice on what I should do before I leave? Put in tri-chlor pucks? What should I raise my FC to before leaving? Shock level?

I would raise to close to shock level. If you have a floater, you can put in pucks based on your CYA level in pool math. I assume you dont have anybody that can help while your away.

Without circulation from the pump, the floaters will not distribute chlorine. It will just sit in one spot, and if it gets stuck at the side of the pool the concentration of chlorine could leave a bleached area on the plaster. If you do not have a heavy debris load you could leave the pump running and use the floaters. Otherwise raise the pool to shock level and run the pump for about 10 minutes before you leave. If you have a solar cover you can put that on to minimize chlorine loss.

I would defiantly leave the pump running may cost a few dollars more in electricity but cheaper than slam not to mention the work if you do have to slam. If you have a main drain and the skimmer fills the pump won't work much harder than normal, as the skimmer fills the MD flow will increases to compensate for the restriction in the skimmer. One of the few times the MD will actually do some good.

What I would do is use a shim, stick, or weight to pin down the weir or remove it all together if that is easy to do. That will almost completely eliminate skimming and keep the basket from filling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.