Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hoping some experts can help me guesstimate!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hoping some experts can help me guesstimate!!

Good Morning! OK, so I have an AG intex 24x52" metal frame pool. It was supposed to be taken down & reinstalled this spring due to issues getting it up level last year, but my kids couldn't help me after all so.....we didn't cover it for winter & by the time I knew we weren't taking it down, it was a murky mess full of tadpoles. In 36 hours, the tadpoles are almost gone (at least 25 nets full lol) & the pool has significantly improved. Here's my problem-I ran out of the FC reagent. It's supposed to arrive Friday. I managed to come up to a dark yellow on the test thingy that tests cl & ph from 0. My CYA was under 20 so I started with borrowing 3 pucks from a friend, then added 6 gallons of shock level bleach so far plus some CYA. Here are my numbers this morning:

FC ?? dark yellow on the twin tester thing-darker than what it reads by about 3 shades if that helps.
    PH 7.2
    TA 220
    CH 200
    CYA 38

For pool school, I guessed at 7 FC with a goal of 16 shock level & then plugged in my # for the rest. It said to add 120 oz of bleach plus some borax.

Here are my questions:

Does this sound right on poolmath? Or should I add way more bleach?

I have about 1/4 of the CYA still in a sock in skimmer. Should I take that out or let the rest dissolve?

Thanks-the picture is this morning & it went from a murky brown to this lighter green. Didn't think to take a picture of how bad it was before the SLAM started!

24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hoping some experts can help me guesstimate!!

You don't want your CYA any higher while you SLAM, so I would take the sock with CYA out of the pool.

Please add your pool size to your signature and the size/type of pump and filter. Depending on your pool size, we can give you a recommendation on how much bleach to add while you wait for your reagents (FAS-DPD test that uses powder right/) to come in.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will update my signature after this post. Gallons is 13,500-I figured at 48" deep instead of 52" B/C pool is uneven. Pump is intex sand filter 2800 GPH, 3/4 HP. Correct on the FAS-DPD test. Thanks!!!
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    Located in Missouri

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm not an expert in installing AGP, but I have heard that uneven pools can be dangerous.

So, I would recommended that you add 1/2 jug of bleach a day. Wal-Mart has 8.25% in the laundry section and 10% in the pool/seasonal section which was priced cheaper at 2.50 a jug. Check out the dates on the 10% as I've seen some old stuff mixed with the newer stuff.

Keep pump running 24/7, brush daily, and backwash when your filter gets 25% higher than the clean pressure. Sand filters work best when dirty, so don't backwash too soon.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help-am aware of the danger. We inspect daily for stress. It's coming down at the end of summer & a better base will be installed. I will probably hire it done so there's no issues with it for the future!
    Located in Missouri