Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to calculate pump speed for solar panels

1. Back To Top    #1

how to calculate pump speed for solar panels

hi TFP,

I have read posts re: this type of question but admittedly have struggled with figuring out how to calculate all the variables to figure out what speed to set the pump on for use of solar panels.

I recently installed 5 4x12 aquasol solar panels on SW facing 8/12 pitch garage roof approximately 25feet at peak of roof, 12 feet to inlet and the return from the panels is approx. 40 feet back to equipment area from outlet at peak of roof. I have 2" piping throughout the entire pool system. I have 3 returns which are linked with piping around entire pool with uprights to each return, length approx35 to pool area then 100feet around pool,(hope that makes sense). I also have a separate line to the cozy cove, length is approx. 60feet from pump.

thanks
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to calculate pump speed for solar panels

This thread has some very good discussion on this topic: Solar panels with variable speed pump??
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the response JV train. it appears the solar kicked on today, but the RPM were at 750, which didn't appear to be pushing enough to get a good flow, i.e. no significant flow from returns, I upped the speed to 2200 RPM and it seems to work well, lots of bubbles and heat for a few minutes then just slightly warmer than pool, which I understand is what you want.

thanks
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your running filter pressure should be several PSI higher than the height of the panels above the pressure gauge divided by 2.31. So if you have a 25' high panel installation, filter pressure should be at least 14 PSI assuming all the water from the pump is going to the panels.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater