Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: suntouch solar automation question

1. Back To Top    #1

suntouch solar automation question

hi TFP,

I am hoping someone can help me figure this Suntouch automation puzzle. I have been using the system for about 2 years successfully, but just hooked up solar panels last week and can't seem to figure out how to test the Suntouch's control of the actuator. I can manually switch it over, but cant figure out how to test if the Suntouch will activate the actuator and if it will go in the correct direction to divert to the panels.

thanks in advance
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: suntouch solar automation question

In general terms if you just want to trick the system into activating take a hair dryer to the solar temp sensor the system will interpret that as the outside temp being hot enough that it is time to activate.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not endorsing the hair dryer method above but if you do it it must be to the solar temp sensor not the pool water temp sensor.

one way to test is to take a pitcher of Margaritas and a thermometer out by the valve in the morning say by 9am. Commence drinking. Record temp when the solar activates. Continue drinking.

I confess I have never tested mine. I just occasionally check during the day that it is operating and complain when the pool is not at the temp I desire.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

good idea with the hair dryer, however got home today and it appears to have kicked on itself and rotated the valve appropriately. I did not have the RPM high enough and there was little flow, ramped up to 2200 and that seems to have done the trick. I am still not sure I have all the circuits set up correctly, but i'll keep working at it.
    Gwegan, will IPAs work as well as margaritas?

thanks
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the advanced menu select manual, scroll to actuator and select on. That will rotate the valve as if solar were on. But, you already know it works now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach