What pool light transformer?

JhnZ33

Jun 22, 2016
Palm Bay, FL
Hello all,

We purchased a foreclosed home with a pool and are trying to get the pool lights operational without breaking the bank. They are 12 volt Hayward E39338 fixtures. One is an R40 fixture in the end of the pool itself and the other is a R20 fixture in the spa. The R40 has a 300 watt bulb and the R20 has a 100 watt bulb. Both are halogen bulbs.

A single feed wire runs from near the pool equipment on the corner of the house to a junction box near the R40 fixture at the pool. The spa light feed runs from the R40 (pool) fixture over to a junction box near the R20 fixture at the spa, so power is daisy-chained from one fixture to another.

My question is, what transformer do I use to make sure I have an adequate power source for both the 300 watt and 100 watt fixtures? Remember, I only have ONE feed from the house to the fixtures, so I cannot use a dual transformer model.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP :)

No need for a transformer as those lights are 110/120V, a transformer drops the voltage for LED lights to 12V

Just change the bulbs out using the same type :) also you may want to replace the seal in the back as that is usually the culprit for the light going out..

Sorry, I must have missed the 12V :(

where are the transformers now, you should replace them with the same type..

The bulbs that are currently in the fixtures are 12 volt halogen flood lamps. I thought about swapping out the 12 volt bulbs for 120 volt bulbs, but my wife and I are concerned about safety with line voltage in the water. Regarding the seal(s), yes they will need to be replaced as the seals where the wire enters the light housing are "turning into goo".

This was an existing pool?

Where were the transformers previously? Is there a GFCI on the circuit?

12 volt lights are not automatically safer than 120 volt lights it's more complex than that.

You cannot generally place 12 volt lights in 120 fixtures. You need 12 volt fixtures generally.

Finally the transformer you use must be pool rated by UL. NONE of the transformers listed above are lregal or safe for a pool.

Hayward makes combined transformer/junction boxes that will do exactly what you need,

So I'm not sure I understand what you have

As I mentioned, we purchased a foreclosure house, a lot of things were missing from the house. I do not know what happened to the transformers that were here or if they even were here. The lighting may have been used as a 120 volt system, there just happened to be 12 volt bulbs in the fixtures. The bulbs look new and do function on a 12 volt power source.

My theory is when the bank had contractors "pretty up" the house for sale, they just went and got bulbs that fit, whether they were the correct ones or not. All of the wiring at the junction boxes were disconnected and wire-nutted. The box on the side of the house has new conduit and only feeds to the pool light junction boxes. There was NO visible power feed coming from the house, nor over to the timers/junction boxes for the pool equipment.

My guess is the the contractor who tried to get the lights working for the bank wasn't necessarily a pool guy or knew anything about electricity and the bank just told them to disconnect everything and let the new owner figure it out.

Doing some research, it seems these fixtures can be used for both 12 volt and 120 volt applications, so there likely never was any transformers used and the style of generic junction boxes used (standard outdoor PVC single gang boxes) leads me to believe this was a 120 volt application.

I have installed 120 volt LED flood bulbs for now as I picked them up cheaply. I temporarily connected the lights to a GFCI outlet to verify everything works. I will run a dedicated line to the panel with a GFCI breaker this week.

Doing some research, it seems these fixtures can be used for both 12 volt and 120 volt applications, so there likely never was any transformers used and the style of generic junction boxes used (standard outdoor PVC single gang boxes) leads me to believe this was a 120 volt application.

or the tweakers stole the transformers and sold them as scrap. Copper=money

It wouldn't surprise me if they stole the transformers, they stole the A/C condenser, all the appliances, the slide from the pool and the whole screened aluminum Florida room on the back of the house, among other things.

As I mentioned, I have installed LED lights for now, just to get the lighting operational. Down the road as time and finances permit, I will make a more permanent decision on what to do with the lighting.

It was nice to be able to sit in the spa last night and enjoy a nice relaxing Florida summer evening with my wife.

I do appreciate everyone's help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.