Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What pool light transformer?

1. Back To Top    #1

What pool light transformer?

Hello all,

We purchased a foreclosed home with a pool and are trying to get the pool lights operational without breaking the bank. They are 12 volt Hayward E39338 fixtures. One is an R40 fixture in the end of the pool itself and the other is a R20 fixture in the spa. The R40 has a 300 watt bulb and the R20 has a 100 watt bulb. Both are halogen bulbs.

A single feed wire runs from near the pool equipment on the corner of the house to a junction box near the R40 fixture at the pool. The spa light feed runs from the R40 (pool) fixture over to a junction box near the R20 fixture at the spa, so power is daisy-chained from one fixture to another.

My question is, what transformer do I use to make sure I have an adequate power source for both the 300 watt and 100 watt fixtures? Remember, I only have ONE feed from the house to the fixtures, so I cannot use a dual transformer model.

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What pool light transformer?

Welcome to TFP

No need for a transformer as those lights are 110/120V, a transformer drops the voltage for LED lights to 12V

Just change the bulbs out using the same type also you may want to replace the seal in the back as that is usually the culprit for the light going out..

Sorry, I must have missed the 12V

where are the transformers now, you should replace them with the same type..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Checkout (updated link to UL Rated/listed power supply)
    Intermatic PX600 - Low Voltage Transformer - 600 Watt
    Last edited by bobodaclown; 06-22-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Updated link to UL listed one
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

The bulbs that are currently in the fixtures are 12 volt halogen flood lamps. I thought about swapping out the 12 volt bulbs for 120 volt bulbs, but my wife and I are concerned about safety with line voltage in the water. Regarding the seal(s), yes they will need to be replaced as the seals where the wire enters the light housing are "turning into goo".

5. Back To Top    #5

This was an existing pool?

Where were the transformers previously? Is there a GFCI on the circuit?

12 volt lights are not automatically safer than 120 volt lights it's more complex than that.

You cannot generally place 12 volt lights in 120 fixtures. You need 12 volt fixtures generally.

Finally the transformer you use must be pool rated by UL. NONE of the transformers listed above are lregal or safe for a pool.

Hayward makes combined transformer/junction boxes that will do exactly what you need,

So I'm not sure I understand what you have
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Deleted.
    Last edited by bobodaclown; 06-23-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sent in error
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

As I mentioned, we purchased a foreclosure house, a lot of things were missing from the house. I do not know what happened to the transformers that were here or if they even were here. The lighting may have been used as a 120 volt system, there just happened to be 12 volt bulbs in the fixtures. The bulbs look new and do function on a 12 volt power source.

My theory is when the bank had contractors "pretty up" the house for sale, they just went and got bulbs that fit, whether they were the correct ones or not. All of the wiring at the junction boxes were disconnected and wire-nutted. The box on the side of the house has new conduit and only feeds to the pool light junction boxes. There was NO visible power feed coming from the house, nor over to the timers/junction boxes for the pool equipment.

My guess is the the contractor who tried to get the lights working for the bank wasn't necessarily a pool guy or knew anything about electricity and the bank just told them to disconnect everything and let the new owner figure it out.

Doing some research, it seems these fixtures can be used for both 12 volt and 120 volt applications, so there likely never was any transformers used and the style of generic junction boxes used (standard outdoor PVC single gang boxes) leads me to believe this was a 120 volt application.

I have installed 120 volt LED flood bulbs for now as I picked them up cheaply. I temporarily connected the lights to a GFCI outlet to verify everything works. I will run a dedicated line to the panel with a GFCI breaker this week.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We have seen that before and it makes it a major pain for you, kind of, you can go with whatever you want that works with those bulbs

You would need 2 of these from hayward Amazon.com : Hayward LTBUY11300 300W Wall Mount Transformer : Patio, Lawn Garden

or for 10 dollars more 1 of these from Pentair Intermatic PX600 Pool Light 600-Watt Safety Transformer, Beige - Center Drill Inserts - Amazon.com
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JhnZ33 View Post

Doing some research, it seems these fixtures can be used for both 12 volt and 120 volt applications, so there likely never was any transformers used and the style of generic junction boxes used (standard outdoor PVC single gang boxes) leads me to believe this was a 120 volt application.
    or the tweakers stole the transformers and sold them as scrap. Copper=money
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

It wouldn't surprise me if they stole the transformers, they stole the A/C condenser, all the appliances, the slide from the pool and the whole screened aluminum Florida room on the back of the house, among other things.

As I mentioned, I have installed LED lights for now, just to get the lighting operational. Down the road as time and finances permit, I will make a more permanent decision on what to do with the lighting.

It was nice to be able to sit in the spa last night and enjoy a nice relaxing Florida summer evening with my wife.

I do appreciate everyone's help.