Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often are you adding water to your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often are you adding water to your pool?

I am starting to get nervous about the amount of water we are adding to the pool. We add pretty much every day but at least every other day. We do live in the Atlanta area and have been experiencing 85-95 degree weather so it could be evaporation but it still seems like a lot. Just curious what others, especially in the hot climates, experience.

Thanks!
    Kristina
    14.5'x32' irregular shape Pebble Tec SWG pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Pentair IntelliPh Ph Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often are you adding water to your pool?

Do a bucket test and see if the same amount evaporates from a 5 gallon bucket. That will help you determine if you're dealing with normal evaporation or not -- use pool water in the bucket so it at least starts the same temp

Baseline normal is roughly 1/4 inch per day, location dependent, fwiw. I fill more but have a sand filter and backwash and have a very heated pool in a clime with cool nights and no cover. So I typically overfill once a week (eg to upper screw on skimmer plate) and get back to about normal operation level/arrow on skimmer plate a week later.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking at my log over the past couple of years, I top off about once every 7-10 days during the hottest part of the summer. If you have a lot of kids in the pool on a regular basis, you may add more often due to splash-out. If you are concerned about a possible leak, you can try the bucket test. Fill a bucket with water, mark the level of the water in the bucket, set it on the stairs/ladder or in a way where the water line in the bucket is level with the water line in the pool. In about 24 hours, compare the water loss between the pool level and the bucket level. This takes evaporation out of the equation. If the level of water in the pool drops faster than the level of water in the bucket, that it an indication of a leak. For more info, check out this article: Pool School - Leak Detection
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Average summer days 90-100F, fairly humid - if there's no rain, we lose about an inch or a little more a week with normal adult swimming/soaking and a bit of play 3-4 days a week with the grandies.

With a kid's birthday party, or just lots of kids any day, it can be almost an inch in one day.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to add water about every 7-10 days as well.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have found an average loss of 1/4 inch per day due to evaporation. Rain, Rain, don't go away, I need water in my pool TODAY!
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

7. Back To Top    #7

I also live in the Atlanta area. Because of the amount of rain we get here, it kind of varies. I'd say that about once a month I have to top off when we have a week long dry spell, but I also have to drain about once a month when we get so much rain that it overfills the pool above the top of the skimmer opening (I like to keep the water level about midway between the top and bottom of the skimmer opening).

About a week or so ago we had a pretty good afternoon storm come through where I had to drain. I haven't refilled since.
    In Ground 14 x 28 vinyl liner; 11,600 gallons; Hayward EcoStar VSP; SWCG - Hayward T Cell 15.

8. Back To Top    #8

When it's hot, I'm losing ~1/4 every day to 2 days. Brand new liner, no leaks, Charlotte area.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am losing about. 1/4 inch a day.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

ah SNAP. I think I have a problem. I lose 1" or more every day.

I'll try the bucket test...sigh.....

Thanks all.

Kristina
    14.5'x32' irregular shape Pebble Tec SWG pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Pentair IntelliPh Ph Controller

11. Back To Top    #11

I lose about an inch a day when my pump is running fulltime. I have an obvious leak in my filter valve though. That is my problem. Hope you figure yours out.

12. Back To Top    #12

No surprise. We have a leak. We are only 15 hours into the test and we can already see a noticeable difference between the water line in the bucket and the pool.

My instinct is to start calling pool companies to come out and access. Anybody have any advice on what to look for or ask?

13. Back To Top    #13

Look for typical trouble spots around fittings (returns, lights, skimmers). Look for cracks in your gunite. When I had a leak in my new install, it turned out to be a screw at the light the was not tight enough. I found it by filling a syringe with blue food coloring and methodically squirting small amounts at suspect areas. I finally saw the dye get slowly sucked into the screw hole. It's surprising that what appeared to be such a small leak ended up accounting for 3/4 inch of water per day.

Of course, it could also be in one of the pipes. Depending on your valves, you can seal off 1 return/suction pipe at a time and see if the leak stops.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

14. Back To Top    #14

+1 to advice above, and take a look at this link.
    Pool School - Leak Detection
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners