Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sports Pool opinions on depth.

1. Back To Top    #1

Sports Pool opinions on depth.

I've read through the forums and have seen that many wish they'd have gone 4' as the shallow.

we've decided to go with the sports pool.

My question is this:

What are opinions on going 4' x 5'6" x 4'6"?

Awkward?

kids are all fairly tall , 9 yr old boy is 5'3 , 13 year old girl is 5'10 and 19 yr old girl (in college but home often) is 5'10.

lots of volleyball in the house LOL.

would the 4'6" be too deep or would just going 4' - 5'6" and 4' be better in your opinions?
    Brian (Frisco, TX)
    2016 18,250 Gallon IG, Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Master Temp 400k, , EastyTouch 8/ScreenLogic Surface: Pebblesheen Blue Surf with Abalone, Travertine Coping and Pavers. 3 LED in Pool 1 in Spa. New Frisco, TX Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sports Pool opinions on depth.

hmmmm, I have not seen many people do that but to me it seems like a great idea, you have 3 different usable depths that will not be a steep transfer between depths
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

we did 4' - 5.5' - 4' and think it is perfect for us, im 6'1" and think its great, at first I wish I had gone 4.5' on the sides but in reality it slopes quick right after the 4' so you are instantly in 4.5' in about a couple steps away.
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

4. Back To Top    #4

We also have 4 - 5.5 - 4 and love it!!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine ended up being 3.9-5.5-4.2 when water is halfway up the tile. Turned out perfect for us.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

6. Back To Top    #6

We did 3.5-6-4. I love it. But I'm also 6-4". My wife is not so happy with me since I made the final decision to drop to 6' in the middle. It is a pretty steep drop from 3.5-6'. Even the 4'-6' drops off pretty quick. In the end I think we will be ok with it. But if we ever have to replaster, we will probably add 6" to the bottom of the 6' area. But since the pool has only had water in it for less than two weeks, it will be awhile for that. Like I said. It's perfect for me. But the shallow areas are pretty small. So far all of the kids that have been over love the depth. Even though they can't touch much.

If you are wanting it for volleyball then id stick with 4-5.5-4.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all for your opinions!

It sounds like the variation there is good and definitely want the 4' minimum. It sounds like it will just be the middle and the "deeper" end.

Wyatt, I like your depths.

Do you find you could do lap swimming with no problem and it not seeming too shallow?
    Brian (Frisco, TX)
    2016 18,250 Gallon IG, Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Master Temp 400k, , EastyTouch 8/ScreenLogic Surface: Pebblesheen Blue Surf with Abalone, Travertine Coping and Pavers. 3 LED in Pool 1 in Spa. New Frisco, TX Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Ee did 3.5x5x4 and like it but it is not 3m5 for long. 4 ft is a great depth
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Do you want one volleyball side to have an advantage?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We have a 3.5-5-4 pool. The only thing I would change would be the 3.5. I would make it a 4-5-4.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post
    Thank you all for your opinions!

It sounds like the variation there is good and definitely want the 4' minimum. It sounds like it will just be the middle and the "deeper" end.

Wyatt, I like your depths.

Do you find you could do lap swimming with no problem and it not seeming too shallow?
    No problem at all with laps. Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. The few extra inches on each of the shallow sides worked out perfect.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck