Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rust from pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

rust from pool heater

I'm getting a lot of rust coming out of jets when using pool heater. It's an older unit. Jandy light 2 gas heater. I want to know if I flush the rust out somehow or what is suggested to get rid of the rust.
    16x32 IG, 24k Gallon, Vinyl, Sand filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: rust from pool heater

When you get to this point it is very hard to get all of the rust out. The coating inside the steel header has worn away and then water sits in there for a period of time and causes the rust. You will always have an issue with it along with metals getting into your water of which it will be something you will have to treat the water for . At this point I would replace the unit with a new heater. The newer units have polymer headers and thus no rusting.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

OK I understand what your saying. It's not in the budget to replace it at this time. So I'm looking for any another alternatives. I can disassemble it and clean/flush and possibly coat the rust prone parts with something if that's an option. I know it may be a bandaid fix. But I'm willing to try it for now.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am not aware of anything that you could coat it with to stop it from producing rust.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,