How to Lower my TA

Jun 22, 2012
Jarrettsville, Md
Hi,
This is Mike verifying my e-mail as requested.

Thanks for your tips. I found the article on lowering total alkalinity interesting, especially since I have a plaster pool. I have been operating a rubber based painted pool for many (20+) years as a volunteer activity and the acid pooling probelem referenced in the article wasn't a consideration.

Now, however I own a plaster pool. I have always disagreed with the "Myth" of forming an acid column for lowering alkalinity as a detrimental procedure for plaster pools. Thank you for your affirmation of my opinions. Now, I am still looking for an effective way to lower alkalinity without producing an acid column. I've tried the aeration approach as mentioned on your site, however I've not had much success.

Suggestions?? Thanks in advance for your kind response.

The first thing to understand is that aeration does not lower TA. What it does do is raise pH without the normal increase in TA. Adding acid will lower pH and TA. Aeration will then raise the pH (with only a small increase in TA).

Most of the off gassing that makes the process work seems to happen when the pH is low, (in the 7.0-7.3 range). I find most success by dropping the pH to 7.0, then aerating for two or three hours, or until my pH is around 7.3 or so. Then repeating the process over and over until the desired TA is achieved. Once there let the pH go up through aeration to your normal level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.