Changing PS-4 Automation Control configuration

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
My pool runs automatically through the night on spillover mode for about six hours. Is there any way I can configure the PS-4 to change that to run for *just* pool mode for the majority of that time (so the pop-up cleaning system can do its thing), and then spillover for a short period of time just to clean/filter the spa, and integrate the cleaned pool water with the spa water, etc.? The only options I see in the PS-4 menu are for spillover or spa only. I'm thinking there must be a pool only mode, and I'm missing it somehow. I read through the manual for the PS-4, but I can't see anything specific to this.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Your return valve did not turn ... I did not expect that.

There should be a pool mode.

Try this: put it is spill over mode, and the flip the switch on the return actuator so it rotates and confirm that is the operating setting that you want. (Remember to flip the switch back when you are done checking).

There must be a setting in the PS-4 to change this. Just need to look int he manual to find it.

Thanks. If I flip the switch on the return valve while in spillover mode, the valve does turn, and it then runs in pool-only mode, which is what I'd prefer for the majority of it's overnight run. The motorized valve does work as it should. I'm guessing it's simply a configuration issue with the PS-4, I just don't know how to change it. :(

Looking in the manual, pushing the Pool/Spa/Spillover button should either toggle between just Pool only / Spa only. OR . Toggle through Pool / Spa / Spa-spillover if the spillover option is turned on (somewhere, still looking).

Can you describe your setup a little more?
You have an in-floor system? Is one of the zones just in the spa? (that is how my previous pool was). If that is the case, I agree you should only have pool mode which runs the in-floor system and rotates through the zones and the spa zone will keep the spa chemistry circulated and will spill over only when that zone is on. And then have a spa mode that only runs the spa when you want to use it.

Have you downloaded the manuals from Hayward?

- - - Updated - - -

Found it:
If you go into the Configuration Menu, press the <> buttons to scroll to "Pool/Spa Config" and press the + to enter that menu. Press the <> buttons to scroll to "Spa Spillover" and press the +/- button to disable it.

See if that works for you. I am not sure if you may also have to change some timers.

I am actually looking at the manual now. It seems to be a setting in the configuration menu that is wrong. At least that's my uneducated guess. lol

I do have a pop-up system. The three main options on the PS-4 are Pool, Spa, or Spillover. All three work as they should, so I'm guessing the valve actuators are set correctly. As it's set now, the system turns on (in spillover mode) at 1:00 AM until 7:00 AM on high speed, and then for two hours on low speed. As you say, I think running for the majority of that time in just pool mode, so the pop-ups could do their thing, and then for a shorter period of time in spillover mode, just to filter the spa, is where I should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it:
If you go into the Configuration Menu, press the <> buttons to scroll to "Pool/Spa Config" and press the + to enter that menu. Press the <> buttons to scroll to "Spa Spillover" and press the +/- button to disable it.

See if that works for you. I am not sure if you may also have to change some timers.
Thank you! I will check as soon as I get home, which should be mid-afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Spill over will not filter the spa, it will just pump water into the spa which will then spill over. If you have an in-floor zone in the spa, then I do not think there is any reason to ever operate in Spill over mode.

Did you see me post above about where to disable the spillover mode?

Alternatively, it is likely you could leave the spillover mode enabled and then maybe need to change the timers to tell it to run in pool mode and not spillover mode.

- - - Updated - - -

OH!! The next menu item after "Spa Spillover" is "Filter Operation" ... likely you just need to change that to "Pool Only" instead of "Spa Spillover" ... and you can leave the spillover enabled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, that is going to be a problem that you have no zone in the spa. You are correct that at least some part of the day you need to operate in spillover mode to keep the chemistry balanced. I am not clear on how you can run in pool only mode for a good part of the day and then only briefly in spill over mode.

One option would be change the return valve position a little in pool only mode so that a little water is directed to the spa at all times, this means a little water would be spilling at all times.

With the setup right now, is the in-floor every running? I can not see how it would be.

One option would be change the return valve position a little in pool only mode so that a little water is directed to the spa at all times, this means a little water would be spilling at all times.

I have the Goldline PS-8 exact same as OP's system except more AUX ports. "Pool Mode" is exactly what you just described above. i.e. when in Pool Mode the return valve is not fulled opened, not fully closed. It's at a 45 deg angle to the open/close configuration.

The reason I wanted to initially see the pictures was to see if there was a dedicated spillover pipe. Many setups have a Tee off of the pool return and has a shutoff valve and check valve which is then connected to the spa return. So even when the pool/spa valve is 100% to the pool, the spill over pipe allows you to direct some flow to the spa. Without that bypass pipe, you have to just set the pool/spa valve to not be set to 100% pool for pool mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually .... what happens if in pool mode, you partially open that valve to the right of the actuated valve? That has a check valve I think and could be a spa bypass.

With the setup right now, is the in-floor every running? I can not see how it would be.
The popups only work if I run the pool only. Just hitting the "pool" button on the PS-4 automatically diverts the returns to the popups.

Here's the thing... When we just bought the house in November. I never owned a pool prior to that. Long story short, it WAS running in popup mode through the night back then. I know that because the sound of the plumbing in popup mode can be heard in the bedroom, and on my first night sleeping there, it sounded like I had a critter in the attic. So I know for sure it was working somehow. And, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it ran in spillover mode for a brief period in the AM.

I'm so confused! lol

I wonder if the toggle switch on the return actuator got flipped? If you manually flip it, see if the spa only, pool only, and spillover are acting as expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, what does that valve by the actuated on on the pool side do? If you open that and water goes to the spa, then you could actually get rid of spillover mode.

I wonder if the toggle switch on the return actuator got flipped? If you manually flip it, see if the spa only, pool only, and spillover are acting as expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, what does that valve by the actuated on on the pool side do? If you open that and water goes to the spa, then you could actually get rid of spillover mode.
If I flip the switch, then it does not work as it should.

I do think I got it back to how it was when we moved in. The valve to the right of the return actuated valve does feed the spa. After just tinkering with it, it jogged my memory. When we moved in, it was spilling over, but there was no cavitation in the spa. That's because it must NOT have been feeding the main spa lines, but the floor feed in the spa (therefore it must have been in Pool Only mode, and feeding that floor feed). Spa Spillover must have been disabled, and that valve was cracked to allow a low flow of water to feed the spa and spill into the pool, therefore addressing the chemical balance concern, but only taking very little pressure away from the popups. So that's how I have it set now: Spa Spillover disabled, and slightly feeding the spa floor feed to circulate spa water. I also have it set to run on Spa Only mode for an hour after pool filtration ends, just to assist in cleaning the spa, and also pumping balanced, clean water through all of the spa feed and return water lines. How's that sound?

I have it set to run at high speed for six hours on Pool Mode, and one hour for dedicated spa mode. With the Phoenix heat, and size of my pool, does that sound adequate?

Also, thanks to all of you for your input. It definitely helped!

Glad we got it straightened out :goodjob:

Run time just depends on dirt load ... so if 6 hours keeps your pool clean enough for you, then that is fine.
I think 1 hour for the spa mode is WAY overkill ... think about the volume of the spa vs. the volume of the pool. Likely 5-10 minutes is plenty of time for spa mode to suck some of the dirt out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.