New convert log and maybe some questions

fonze

Jun 18, 2016
ST Charles, MO
So my cousin bought a new house in January and I am renting from him. When he looked at the house in the fall the pool was clear and clean. upon opening the pool last month there was a swamp. We fell for the pool store scam for about three weeks before catching on and going searching for a better way. So here begins the adventure.

Prior to learning the new ways we had added multiple bags of solid shock and a few bottles of algicide (quart size?) upon still getting little to no results I found the predecessor to this site and it was dead leading me here. I started adding wal-mart liquid chlorine (10%) estimating as I was waiting on a test kit. and it started clearing up the water almost immediately (within 24 hrs). The filter was requiring cleaning several times a day.

Now having test kit I found yesterday
FC - 5
PH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - didnt test
CYA - 40 (probably from the 10-15 pucks added)
Temp - 83 deg F

water condition is clear but there is something that accumulates on the bottom with a green tinge that only appears after being left alone (with pump running) if you take a brush to it it disperses in a cloud but comes back after about 30 minutes. when we attempted to vacuum this we found that with the vacuum attachments set up it is causing the DE from the filter to enter the pool through the return jet. Upon further inspection of the filter found that there is a hole in the sock of the Bypass line (? #8 at this link http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_waterway_clearwater_ii_de_filter.aspx) it is on order and will be here Friday hopefully. The filter has been running almost continuously for the last two weeks and has not needed to be cleaned.

I went ahead and brought this up to shock level (17) last night and woke up to a FC of 7 this morning and only had one gallon of 10% left dumped it in before I left for work (had a mostly cloudy day today thankfully) and returned to a FC of 7 brought it back up to 18 tonight brushed checked 30 min later still at 18 and again an hour after that still at 18. I am checking for the OCLT in the morning.

I am wondering of there is anything else you guys think I should be doing and if anyone has any idea wht the stuff accumulating on the bottom of the pool would be?

Welcome to TFP!

You are on the right track and it appears that the pool is improving. What you need to do is a process called SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. It is vital to keep the chlorine as close to the SLAM target as possible - this means adding chlorine several times per day. The fact that you lost 10 ppm FC last night indicates that there was (and may still be) something organic in the pool that is consuming chlorine. You are doing the right thing by performing another OCLT tonight. Keep using plain, unscented liquid bleach for chlorine. Don't bother with the algaecide - it does nothing for an existing algae bloom.

Welcome! Sounds like you did your homework very well and are already in slam mode. It sounds like the cloud stuff is dead algae. When your vacuum part comes, vacuum VERY slowly to get it into your filter. In the meantime, keep that FC up and brush everything daily.

Morning numbers are

FC: 16
CC: .5

Here is a picture of the stuff at the bottom

http://imgur.com/p39czMy

unfortunately going to be another 10 hour work day for me and the same for my cousin so no one to monitor the levels during the sunny hours today. I topped it up to FC of 19 but know the sun is going to bake a lot of that off today.

what is the highest safe level I could take it to before going to work and leaving it for 10 hours?

I came home from work to find FC:8 and CC:0 brought it back up to 18 brushed checked it 30 min later still at 18 and no CC checked 2 Hrs later and still at 18 checked once more right before bedtime and still at 18 hopefully this is the passing test.

I would still like to know if slam level is the highest safe level. I am not talking about safe to swim I am talking about the highest I can go without causing damage to anything as ten hours of being left to its own devices was cutting it close today and I had it quite a bit above the slam level to be honest.

I know that the sun burns it off as a percentage of what is available so the more there is the faster it burns it off but just curious about the above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.