Newbie... Numbers Sanity Check?

RiscIt

Jun 21, 2016
Western Maine
Howdy All,

Inherited part of a pool with new house, ended up buying pretty much everything except the frame and the liner as the previous owners walked off with everything else (pump, filter, hoses, outlet/return, valves). I guess we really just got a well landscaped flat spot. In any case, we've never owned a pool before, but we are fairly intelligent people who are good at following directions.

We picked up a K-2006 kit, and I've been following these demonstration videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6uoMdT1vO11pgLbOSl99CY_BQXE1Jx6s

I entered numbers into poolcalculator.com and it is calling for me to add many pounds of chems to the pool. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just wanted to double check with some folks more experienced than I before I went ahead and did something that would be hard to undo.

The numbers I got are below. Are these sane/normal for a pool filled 4 days ago and filtered 4h/day since then?

FC - 0 (would not change color)
PH - 7.2
TA - 40
CH - 30 (is this even an issue? The poolcalculator.com docs say "In a vinyl lined pool there is no need for calcium" ?)
CYA - 0 (I mixed for the full 30 seconds and saw the black dot clearly at the bottom even after the column was full)
Temp - 72 deg F

Many thanks in advance. We are very appreciative of this site. This is my first post but we've been reading like crazy for the past few weeks.

Peace,
Phil

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just a note that we no longer recommend the use of poolcalculator.com ... you should start using PoolMath which TFP maintains.

I will let others address your questions, but you should never add anything to your pool that you do not understand why ... so it is great that you are asking for confirmation.

Thanks Jason.

I understand well enough to trust the numbers from the calculator (just switched to PoolMath, thanks) if my test results are accurate... I just don't have any frame of reference for what "new water" numbers should look like to know that I have at-least ballpark accurate test results.

Peace,
Phil

Well fill water is fill water. Nothing is too surprising beyond the low TA.

CYA is always 0 on tap water.

I would get FC in the water ASAP using bleach, get 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock, and raise the TA too about 60ppm.

How are you planning to chlorinate?

I tossed in 4 cups / 32 oz of 7.68% bleach tonight, and just over a cup of borax.
We're trying to stick to BB&B. Though that means I need to find some baking soda. We don't have anywhere near the qty required (57oz) at the moment.

Thanks again Jason.

Peace,
Phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.