Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie... Numbers Sanity Check?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Newbie... Numbers Sanity Check?

Howdy All,

Inherited part of a pool with new house, ended up buying pretty much everything except the frame and the liner as the previous owners walked off with everything else (pump, filter, hoses, outlet/return, valves). I guess we really just got a well landscaped flat spot. In any case, we've never owned a pool before, but we are fairly intelligent people who are good at following directions.

We picked up a K-2006 kit, and I've been following these demonstration videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...99CY_BQXE1Jx6s

I entered numbers into poolcalculator.com and it is calling for me to add many pounds of chems to the pool. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just wanted to double check with some folks more experienced than I before I went ahead and did something that would be hard to undo.

The numbers I got are below. Are these sane/normal for a pool filled 4 days ago and filtered 4h/day since then?

FC - 0 (would not change color)
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 40
    CH - 30 (is this even an issue? The poolcalculator.com docs say "In a vinyl lined pool there is no need for calcium" ?)
    CYA - 0 (I mixed for the full 30 seconds and saw the black dot clearly at the bottom even after the column was full)
    Temp - 72 deg F

Many thanks in advance. We are very appreciative of this site. This is my first post but we've been reading like crazy for the past few weeks.

Peace,
    Phil
    Western Maine, 5061 gal, AG, Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", Intex Krystal Clear 0.95 HP 3K gph SF60110 Sand Filter, Wall Mount Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie... Numbers Sanity Check?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Just a note that we no longer recommend the use of poolcalculator.com ... you should start using PoolMath which TFP maintains.

I will let others address your questions, but you should never add anything to your pool that you do not understand why ... so it is great that you are asking for confirmation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason.

I understand well enough to trust the numbers from the calculator (just switched to PoolMath, thanks) if my test results are accurate... I just don't have any frame of reference for what "new water" numbers should look like to know that I have at-least ballpark accurate test results.

Peace,
    Phil
    Western Maine, 5061 gal, AG, Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", Intex Krystal Clear 0.95 HP 3K gph SF60110 Sand Filter, Wall Mount Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Well fill water is fill water. Nothing is too surprising beyond the low TA.

CYA is always 0 on tap water.

I would get FC in the water ASAP using bleach, get 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock, and raise the TA too about 60ppm.

How are you planning to chlorinate?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I tossed in 4 cups / 32 oz of 7.68% bleach tonight, and just over a cup of borax.
    We're trying to stick to BB&B. Though that means I need to find some baking soda. We don't have anywhere near the qty required (57oz) at the moment.

Thanks again Jason.

Peace,
    Phil

6. Back To Top    #6

Baking soda can be found at any grocery store in the baking department. Just use half a dose to start and then retest about an hour later.

7. Back To Top    #7

The borax was not really needed since the pH was fine. Just bump up the TA a bit and get CYA in the water or your FC will be gone to the sun in hours.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all