Getting started after new liner

ErinP

Jun 2, 2015
North Andover, MA
New liner is in and pool is almost filled with new crystal clear tap water!

I just got Tf-100 kit and was wondering when and what tests I should do to get started?

Thanks for any help as I am new to this method. (before liner change we used Pristine Blue)

Erin

ok so...

PH was somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5-I was having difficulty distinguishing between the shades
CL- 0
CYA-0
TA- 30
didn't run hardness as I know we have really soft water and with vynal it doesn't really matter, right?

Also, just curious as to why the kids kept complaining they smelled like chlorine and immediately took a shower after jumping in if the chlorine test was 0? What were they smelling?

Thanks!
Erin

CC from your tap water. It is a common misconception that people have about what chlorine smells like in a poorly maintained or public pool full of CC, it is the CC the smells and makes your eyes burn especially in indoor pools. Properly maintained pools never smell like that even with very high chlorine levels.

Add 30ppm of CYA to your pool asap in a sock, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Makes sense about the CC! thanks! A little scary to think this is our drinking water.

As for the CYA, I'm going to have to get liquid form as they found a leak in both the skimmer line and the intake line. Since the lines are partially underneath concrete we have a temporary hose going to the filter and I think the skimmer is shut down. Return is fine.

Wow, still in school! You can still use granular CYA and save some bucks. Tie a string to it and hang it in front of the pool return off a stick or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.