Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting started after new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting started after new liner

New liner is in and pool is almost filled with new crystal clear tap water!

I just got Tf-100 kit and was wondering when and what tests I should do to get started?

Thanks for any help as I am new to this method. (before liner change we used Pristine Blue)

Erin
    25+ year old inground pool , 16x32 21,100 gallons, new vinyl liner and sand filter. Aquabot pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting started after new liner

Test everything except CYA-----there isn't any in tap water. Have fun!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok so...

PH was somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5-I was having difficulty distinguishing between the shades
    CL- 0
    CYA-0
    TA- 30
    didn't run hardness as I know we have really soft water and with vynal it doesn't really matter, right?

Also, just curious as to why the kids kept complaining they smelled like chlorine and immediately took a shower after jumping in if the chlorine test was 0? What were they smelling?

Thanks!
    Erin
    25+ year old inground pool , 16x32 21,100 gallons, new vinyl liner and sand filter. Aquabot pool cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

CC from your tap water. It is a common misconception that people have about what chlorine smells like in a poorly maintained or public pool full of CC, it is the CC the smells and makes your eyes burn especially in indoor pools. Properly maintained pools never smell like that even with very high chlorine levels.

Add 30ppm of CYA to your pool asap in a sock, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Look for as close to 100% cyanuric acid as you can find. most big box stores carry it.

To better calculate the CYA addition pooldv recommended, familiarize yourself with this:

Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

Makes sense about the CC! thanks! A little scary to think this is our drinking water.

As for the CYA, I'm going to have to get liquid form as they found a leak in both the skimmer line and the intake line. Since the lines are partially underneath concrete we have a temporary hose going to the filter and I think the skimmer is shut down. Return is fine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! got hth stabilizer from which is 98.5%. On the chart it says to add 64oz. to 30 ppm for 20,000, but when I put my numbers in poolmath it says to add 8.5 oz. That is a VERY big difference. Not sure how much to add....

8. Back To Top    #8

SO Sorry! I only put in 2000 gallons not 20000! Last day of school here and trying to get way too much done! Thanks for everyones help!

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, still in school! You can still use granular CYA and save some bucks. Tie a string to it and hang it in front of the pool return off a stick or something.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach